Contribute
Register

Wifi Card is Recognized natively but not picking up any networks (Atheros ar5b93)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I followed the eeprom guide to the letter. After i rebooted into OS X, I got "No hardware Installed" in the menu bar. Is it an IO80211Family kext issue, or did i just brick the card ?

I followed the eeprom guide to the letter. After i rebooted into OS X, I got "No hardware Installed" in the menu bar. Is it an IO80211Family kext issue, or did i just brick the card ?

You probably forgot to update the checksum (or did it incorrectly). You can bring the card back, but you have to modify the source to the Linux WiFi driver to ignore the bad checksum and startup anyway.

ok so i brought the card back , now I'm back at square 1, the card is recognized natively .. but no signal whatsoever.
I suspect there's some hardware defect with the card, as this was taken off a "dead laptop", even though it's working under Windows.
So, I just wanna ask what is the absolute best natively working wifi card? i'd search for it maybe i can order one online ?

Thanks RehabMan, you've been a great help .

ok so i brought the card back , now I'm back at square 1, the card is recognized natively .. but no signal whatsoever.
I suspect there's some hardware defect with the card, as this was taken off a "dead laptop", even though it's working under Windows.
So, I just wanna ask what is the absolute best natively working wifi card? i'd search for it maybe i can order one online ?

Thanks RehabMan, you've been a great help .

If it is working on Windows, it will work on OS X... (eg. not a hardware problem).

Did you get the regdomain properly configured for your locale?

Native WiFi is covered here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/104850-guide-airport-pcie-half-mini-v2.html

I'm in Lebanon , but i'm sure most people don't operate under that locale (My link sys router for example is set to USA)
for the moment, the card locale reads : Unknown. I don't know what locale to choose for regulatory domain (or how to choose).

SAME PROBLEM happened again with Atheros AR5HB92(AR9280), And this one is brand new ... it can't be Yosemite cz same thing happened on Mavericks. I haven't tried it on Windows or Linux yet. for the moment i can only test it on Linux, Windows is down.

By the way i noticed something weird ... when i install the intel card ... the wifi led light turns on ... and the card works like a charm under linux and windows, However when i installed the first ar5b93 and now ar5hb92 the led light is off .. (p.s: the laptop originally had the intel card installed when i first bought it .)
don't know if that's related .

Furthermore:
Tested the card with linux, it is "disabled by hardware switch". That's what it says ... also it's hard blocked... i tried some Terminal solutions. No Good!
is it possible that my laptop was locked somehow to my pci wifi adapter in a way that it wouldn't accept any other brand/model ? ?

[SOLVED] Wifi Card is Recognized natively but not picking up any networks (Atheros ar5b93)

After some exhausting research and with the help of RehabMan narrowing down the problem, I finally figured out the problem. IT WAS A BIOS WHITELIST PROBLEM. Apparently the atheros model is locked out of the bios.

There are a few solutions:
- Flashing a modded BIOS (extremely Dangerous)(Risk of Bricking the Motherboard)
- Flashing the Wireless Card with another Device ID (Rebranding)
- Performing the pin 20 strip ( which is what worked for me)

Follow this video guide :
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzAKcmlaH1m

So I replaced my internal wireless card with an atheros ar5b93 , and it was recognized without any kexts. However it is not showing any networks ... What to do ?
Hello!

Did it worked with the AR5B93?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back