Contribute
Register

Wi-Fi drops out constantly (TP-Link TL-WDN4800) [10.8.3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever turned out to be the resolution to the WIFI dropouts you guys were having? Did the macbook adapter work out?

It's been around 3 weeks since I have finished installing Mavericks and Win8, and in the last 1-2 weeks I have been struggling hard with wifi drop-outs!

I've tried it all! Re-installed kexts, re-configured all of my wi-fi network (three times!), prayed, and did all kinds of thins you may imagine trying to make wi-fi work properly.

Today I decided I'd format my SSD and install Mavericks from scratch. I noticed that there's a new version of Unibeast out, so I came to download it and then do a clean with the latest versions of Unibeast/Multibeast. I couldn't even download these two little files without my wi-fi dropping out. Most of the times I couldn't remain connected longer than 30 to 60 seconds.

I admit it: I, a grown man, was about to cry!

But then one thing occurred me: I pulled my CPU from under the desk (it seats agains the wall in the corner of my bedroom, and the router sits in the next room), exposing the antennas "in the open". YEAH.... I should have known better. The spot where the CPU was sitting was too cornered under the desk and against the wall. To make it even more ridiculous, the antennas were also too close to the 700 KVA No-Break I use, which I suspect was not helping either.

Moved the CPU to the top of the desk (it's not looking good, but what can I do?) and not only the drop-outs stopped but also my network speed increased considerably! It's been only an hour or so since the problem was solved, so I can't really say for sure it's a definite fix. Nevertheless, i'm feeling quite confident my suffering days are over.

(I'm from Brazil, so, sorry for my english)

Glad its working better. You may also want to check if any other access points close to you are using the same channel. To do this you will need a WiFi stumbler app so you can see what channels the other APs around your area are using so you can change your AP to an unused channel. I use KISMac, a free open source stumbler, for this but there are others such as iStumbler (USD 20 last time I checked).

I found solution for my TP-Link TL-WDN4800 on Maveriks.
All I did is set "using DHCP with manual address" in TCP/IP section of adapter properties.

P.S. You have to set "start address" in DHCP properties on router, somthing like 192.168.1.50 and select IP for your mac below this, like 192.168.1.2

I have been having the same issues on Yosemite. I thought it might have been the wifi bugs that were in Yosemite, which I have experienced on my macbook air, but i tried this and so far it is working well! Thanks for the tip!

I had a wifi drop problem before, it was just that the WiFi card overheating, was placed too close to the 6870 display card, it was also on top of the display card (heat goes up). After I moved the card to a different slot, problem solved. But I am sure this wasn't your problem, I just thought that I mention it.

So after much research and many threads later I have found a solution to this problem. I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but it definitely worked for me.

1) Move your Wifi card inside your computer from the slot above the GPU to below it. (Apparently their is enough heat that is generated from your GPU to cause overheating issues.)

2) Connect your internet to the 5GHz network instead of the 2.4GHz. (I'm not sure why this makes a difference, but for me it did. Older routers may not have the 5GHz option so in that case maybe it's time to upgrade.)

Hope this helps!

I also had exacltly same problem. I noticed that when SNR drops under 25 dBm, then it can happened. you can check your RSSI and Noise values by press Alt and click network icon. and then SNR is difference between RSSI and Noise values. example RSSI is -61 dBm and noise is -80 dBm then SNR is 19 dBm.

So I solved problem by buying three external antennas from ebay.

Who has fixed this problem? My card wdn4800 drops out connection too under Yosemite. Any suggestion?

I read somewhere in this thread it could be a channel conflict, or that switching the router to 802.11n/5GHz only might help.

Using a wifi sniffer utility (WiFi Explorer) I saw that both my router (AirPort Express) and another one with a strong signal nearby were both using Channel 11 (on 2.4GHz). Not sure if that was causing the problem or not, but I also have a MacBook Pro that sits on the same desk and sometimes has difficulty re-establishing a connection after waking from sleep. Not exactly the same problem, but unique to this physical location nonetheless.

Anyway, I switched the AirPort Express to 802.11n/5GHz only & reset (nb: this also changes the channel). I'll have to test it for much longer before claiming victory, but I'm currently enjoying the longest session of uninterrupted internet connection I've had in days.

UPDATE: Well, it worked just fine for about two days without interruption, but then went back to the same old periodic dropouts as before. Definitely happens a lot less than before though, and more at certain times of day -- could still be external interference.

Last edited:
I've been experiencing the same troubles with my wifi system. Would love to know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back