Contribute
Register

Wi-Fi Card Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright I'm stumped.

Wireless and Bluetooth works beautifully in OSX. In Windows I can get several different driver versions installed from Dell, HP, Lenovo, and whatever is distributed with Windows. Bluetooth works but it never scans for networks and cannot display any SSIDs.

Any ideas?

Try Windows 10.

Started with Windows 10.
Moved onto a clean Windows 10 install.
Now on Windows 8.1.

Not working in any windows os but working amazingly on osx. Its almost like the hardware switch is set to "off" but this laptop doesn't have one.

Any other thoughts or potential debug steps?

Thanks,
JC

Started with Windows 10.
Moved onto a clean Windows 10 install.
Now on Windows 8.1.

Not working in any windows os but working amazingly on osx. Its almost like the hardware switch is set to "off" but this laptop doesn't have one.

Any other thoughts or potential debug steps?

Thanks,
JC

Do you mean the driver is loaded, but it can't find networks? You need to find a way to make the radio turn on. Install appropriate OEM driver that enables the dedicated key for radio power toggle (airplane mode).

Tried that too.

And yes, the wifi driver loads wonderfully. No errors in the device manager or event log that catches my eye. It simply doesn't appear to be scanning in windows.

Tried that too.

And yes, the wifi driver loads wonderfully. No errors in the device manager or event log that catches my eye. It simply doesn't appear to be scanning in windows.

Radio is not turned on.

That makes sense but windows has airplane mode disabled and wifi turned on.

The adapter properties does not have an override. Do you know of a command line utility or other software that can enable it? Anything I've found is severely outdated or won't install due to my hardware config.

That makes sense but windows has airplane mode disabled and wifi turned on.

The adapter properties does not have an override. Do you know of a command line utility or other software that can enable it? Anything I've found is severely outdated or won't install due to my hardware config.

With a half-mini PCIe you would tape pin 20. Perhaps you can determine the same pin on NGFF by comparing the pinouts of half-mini PCIe to NGFF.

Oh man..... This is going to be funny I had a hard enough time connecting the antennas and that isn't supposed to be hard lol. I will do some research and follow up. Thanks again.

Pretty bad luck all around.

I found the following.

This card uses the 2230 M.2 socket with the A&E keys. There doesn't appear to be a one to one ratio of pins on this card compared to its PCI-e mini card.

intel.web.480.270.jpg

Do you know of anyone else that has tried this? Unlike a lot of the PCIe mini cards these don't even have the first and last pin numbers labeled. I can take an educated guess to find pin 20 but even then it's probably not 20 on these small cards. (I cannot find a simple pinout for these anywhere!)

What's strange to me is that it works in OSX but not Windows. To me that means if I was smart enough I could come up with a software based fix or script but I have no idea how that works.

Pretty bad luck all around.

I found the following.

This card uses the 2230 M.2 socket with the A&E keys. There doesn't appear to be a one to one ratio of pins on this card compared to its PCI-e mini card.

View attachment 148083

Not expected to be the same pin# on NGFF. Find description of both pinout on mini PCIe and NGFF. Do the research to find the matching pin on NGFF with the same functionality as pin 20 on mini PCIe.

Unlike a lot of the PCIe mini cards these don't even have the first and last pin numbers labeled. I can take an educated guess to find pin 20 but even then it's probably not 20 on these small cards. (I cannot find a simple pinout for these anywhere!)

Did you check wikipedia? M.2/NGFF spec?

Do you know of anyone else that has tried this?

I don't, but google might know.

What's strange to me is that it works in OSX but not Windows. To me that means if I was smart enough I could come up with a software based fix or script but I have no idea how that works.

Could be BIOS/DSDT is not written correctly for Windows (with this card). Or you need OEM specific drivers installed to turn on/off the WiFi card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back