Contribute
Register

Why won't Lubuntu USB boot up on my MacBook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I will be able to choose the SSD to install LUbuntu on? How do I know what it is called? In ubuntu it was called SDA

When you get to the disk formatting step you should be able to tell the difference in the size of the drives. If you choose the easy you do nothing option use whole disk, it will show screen with two different drives you know the size you put in, I would think it is not identical to the one already in there. Choose the size that is closest to the one put in. ie. if it was 120gb ssd then it will be about that size. If choosing the something else option for manual formatting then the same.

I have tried using the option key but it doesn't even show the drive. Should I try a cd

And the ssd and the hdd are both 120 gb

Then use the try lubuntu option and open a Terminal and use something like the below to see how it the system is seeing the drive(s).

Code:
root@ubuntu:~# fdisk -l /dev/sda
Disk /dev/sda: 119.24 GiB, 128035676160 bytes, 250069680 sectors
Disk model: SATA SSD       
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 277D7AAF-EBF1-496F-98E0-B6606DB25017

Device        Start       End   Sectors  Size Type
/dev/sda1        40    409606    409567  200M EFI System
/dev/sda2    409608  83886080  83476473 39.8G Linux filesystem
/dev/sda3  83886088 250069646 166183559 79.2G Linux filesystem

You would need to use sudo in front of the command and leave off the /dev/sda for it to show both drives in the system. Here with my SSD you can see it in the model description. If you have cd/dvd to boot from go ahead but I thought you replaced it with the SSD. Either that or create a USB drive that has the proper files on it for the broken efi system you have. Give one of the installer on this page a go it has a lubuntu 18.04 image listed. Oh open the machine and disconnect the HDD for the install then connect it later once done now I think of it.

It wont boot into the usb and It still doesn't show up

Well only other idea I have is install from/on another machine. Do the install on the SSD while it is in another machine then put it into the Mac, that is how I got Debian onto my MacPro 1,1 that has the crippled 32bit EFI as well on an IDE drive I put in it, my 5,1 it just booted the Ubuntu installer without problems. I just had to mess with the GRUB to get it to display a boot option screen. Holding the Option key allows me to boot OSX on it.

I made the USB using rufus and got the 32 bit ISO file from here:
It may be better to use the dd command method described in the link below rather than Rufus.
Another option would be to use Etcher as described in the Ubuntu procedure below.

I ordered a real lubuntu 18.024 disk on eBay so we will see if that works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back