Contribute
Register

Why use .../CLOVER/kexts/Other/ folder for Direct Update to Mojave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ZOTAC EI750
CPU
I7 - 4770R (HM87)
Graphics
HD 5200
/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/

Why should we use the `Other` folder and not 10.14 or so?
What's the difference between using the number or the Other folder?

Why should we use the `Other` folder and not 10.14 or so?
What's the difference between using the number or the Other folder?

Putting the kext's in the "Other" means that the kext's will also be injected when the installer or recovery partition is used, it also means that they are not tied to a specific version of MacOS.

Once you have a working system booting form your system drive you should only need FakeSMC in the Clover/Kexts/Other folder all other 3rd party kexts should be installed in /L/E so that they are cached and can be accessed by MacOS. Injected Kext's live outside of the MacOS Kernel which is not good for stability.

Cheers
Jay

Putting the kext's in the "Other" means that the kext's will also be injected when the installer or recovery partition is used, it also means that they are not tied to a specific version of MacOS.

Once you have a working system booting form your system drive you should only need FakeSMC in the Clover/Kexts/Other folder all other 3rd party kexts should be installed in /L/E so that they are cached and can be accessed by MacOS. Injected Kext's live outside of the MacOS Kernel which is not good for stability.

Cheers
Jay

@jay,
What would happen if I used 10.14 instead of Other?
The update won't work?
Because some guides use exact numbers and some use Other and I still don't get it.

Also, how come the Kext's aren't needed once the system is stable?
I thought the Kext's make it work.

@jay,
What would happen if I used 10.14 instead of Other?
The update won't work?
Because some guides use exact numbers and some use Other and I still don't get it.

Also, how come the Kext's aren't needed once the system is stable?
I thought the Kext's make it work.
Follow the advice of jaymonkey. (The idea of having /10.13, /10.14 and so on folders in /Kexts is so that you can have different kexts for different versions of macOS--and there is no point in doing that. The only folder you should have in EFI/Clover/Kexts is "Other". Discard the other folders in /Kexts.) Yes, you'll need added kexts.

When you place kexts into (disk)/Library/Extensions you cannot just drop them in. Use KextBeast 2.0.2, and make sure that you install them into L/E -- and not S/L/E System/Library/Extensions, which is only for Apple installed kexts.

You should also fill out the information about your system in your member profile as required.

Last edited:
Follow the advice of jaymonkey. (The idea of having /10.13, /10.14 and so on folders in /Kexts is so that you can have different kexts for different versions of macOS--and there is no point in doing that. The only folder you should have in EFI/Clover/Kexts is "Other". Discard the other folders in /Kexts.) Yes, you'll need added kexts.

When you place kexts into (disk)/Library/Extensions you cannot just drop them in. Use KextBeast 2.0.2, and make sure that you install them into L/E -- and not S/L/E System/Library/Extensions, which is only for Apple installed kexts.

You should also fill out the information about your system in your member profile as required.

Is there a place to read about this?
Not the details but idea of injecting those Kext files and how the high (Very high) level architecture of Clover?

By the way, if I have macOS 10.11 working, is the any reason this won't work as well?

Thank You.

Last edited:

Cheers
Jay
Should I place in /L/E my AppleALC and Lilu, too?

Is there a place to read about this?
Not the details but idea of injecting those Kext files and how the high (Very high) level architecture of Clover?

By the way, if I have macOS 10.11 working, is the any reason this won't work as well?

Thank You.
I think it's explained well by jaymonkey, but you might search. When I upgraded from Yosemite to Sierra, I hit roadblocks. So I did what I'm going to suggest you do now. Make a USB installer with UniBeast 9.0.0 - Mojave. Do a clean install to another disk, rather than upgrade. This will allow you to work out the install before you mess with your main disk. Keep in mind that Mojave installs in APFS format, not HFS+, on both HDDs and SSDs. On Apple units I believe you have to have the latest update to the version you have. So for Sierra, let's say, you need 10.12.6. Don't know what happens for us in that regard. Again, build from a clean install. Use the proper SMBIOS for your CPU:
  • Haswell With NVIDIA GPU - iMac14,2
  • Haswell With iGPU - iMac14,1 Good luck!

If you have all your kext your system needs in EFI>Clover>kexts>Other during install, all the kexts are included and added to the kernel-cache, SIP can stay enabled and you will never have any issues with them staying in that location. With everything being installed in L/E, you end up having to redo permissions, rebuilt kernel-cache and disabling SIP in order to get the kext to get loaded.

If you have all your kext your system needs in EFI>Clover>kexts>Other during install, all the kexts are included and added to the kernel-cache, SIP can stay enabled and you will never have any issues with them staying in that location. With everything being installed in L/E, you end up having to redo permissions, rebuilt kernel-cache and disabling SIP in order to get the kext to get loaded.

This is how I do it, mainly because I prefer leaving SIP enabled and keeping things clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back