Contribute
Register

Why the 1TB WD Black SN770 is the very best "Bang for your Buck" today

If your WD HDDs are 14 Y.O. and still work, that tells you something. Amazing they've not failed yet. What did those cost 14 years ago ? A lot more than $115 each I'd guess.

View attachment 563017
What's the link? I ask because I can't find it for the above price. TIA.

I ask because I can't find it for the above price.
He's looking at buying the SN570 not the 770. That costs slightly more.

The SN570 went up about 5 dollars sice yesterday. Now $120 at Amazon. Check Other Sellers.

Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 4.17.52 PM.png

SN770 2TB is going for $135 new from Amazon today.
Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 4.20.32 PM.png

Last edited:
The 500 GB version just got even lower in price by $4.59. EDIT: this is for Used like New returns, not brand new.

Why buy anything else ? 2.5" sata SSDs cost close to this much. M.2 Sata based drives usually cost more than NVMe versions.

Screen Shot 1.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone would like custom SN770 drive icons, edhawk has posted some you can download for your system.

I think that Amazon may have made a listing error. The new ones are supposed to be $39.99 and the Amazon Warehouse returns sell for $35. They've changed it now. $40.00 for new is still worth buying. You can save 5 bucks and just re-format a returned drive too.

Screen Shot 3.jpg

This is what I have in my desktop. Amazing m2 drive

This is what I have in my desktop. Amazing m2 drive
WD has their own SanDisk NAND Flash and a WD proprietary controller that works well with macOS. Nearly all other NVMe sellers source these from other companies. They mainly use older, lower cost Phison or SMI controllers and buy Kioxia, Micron or Samsung NAND chips. Currently they have a hard time competing with WD on price. Makes the choice easier for us hackintoshers.

WD bought out SanDisk back in 2016.

Last edited:
Probably because Apple doesn't use standard M.2 connections in Macs with NVMe drives. You can't install a SN770 in a Mac, only use it externally. There may be adapters but they don't work in all Macs.

If they're just for backups no need to spend more money on the 770s. You wouldn't notice much difference between the two. What matters most is the boot drive as that's in constant use. 2TB size WD NVMe drives will hold up with a lot of writing to them 1200 TBW is what they're rated.
For those whose Hack either doesn't have M.2 slots or does but they're already occupied, you can buy one of these PCIe adaptors pretty cheaply (either the brand shown or others like it listed on the usual sites). NVMe shown is obviously not included.
IMG_0334.jpeg

Back