Contribute
Register

Why nvidia, when Apple uses AMD all the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus P5K Pro
CPU
X5460
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone,

I've been wondering quite a long time about that...Why are the Tonymac buyer guides recommending only nvidia video cards, when Apple uses only AMD graphics since a long time. The entire OS is heavily optimized for openCL, and nvidia is (as I found out so far) using CUDA.

There's another fact, that the nvidia web drivers sometimes have issues, and you have to wait for them to be released when an OS update comes out. On the other side, AMD graphics (especially the RX and Vega series) are working with only two additional kexts.

There's also Final Cut, which works a mile better with AMD graphics.

This isn't about trying to argue, but I'm just curious what's behind favorizing nvidia over AMD?

Thanks for the replies! :D

David.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 1.15.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 1.15.49 AM.png
    278.5 KB · Views: 80
Hi everyone,

I've been wondering quite a long time about that...Why are the Tonymac buyer guides recommending only nvidia video cards, when Apple uses only AMD graphics since a long time. The entire OS is heavily optimized for openCL, and nvidia is (as I found out so far) using CUDA.

There's another fact, that the nvidia web drivers sometimes have issues, and you have to wait for them to be released when an OS update comes out. On the other side, AMD graphics (especially the RX and Vega series) are working with only two additional kexts.

There's also Final Cut, which works a mile better with AMD graphics.

This isn't about trying to argue, but I'm just curious what's behind favorizing nvidia over AMD?

Thanks for the replies! :D

David.

https://tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/

In the past using an AMD graphics card in a hackintosh was fraught with issues, such as boot to a black screen, broken sleep/wake, and requiring a "helper GPU" (such as integrated graphics) to help booting.

Only recently were the problems resolved to a large degree, first by the 2 kexts Lilu and WhateverGreen, and then with the latest version of Clover.

And don't forget about the high prices and lack of stock of many higher end AMD cards due to cryptocurrency mining.

They Buyer's Guide parts are just suggestions, not iron clad laws/rules. If you want to use AMD graphics go ahead and do that. Main thing to do is research before choosing whatever you buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back