Contribute
Register

Why is it only Corsair Power supplies are recomended here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
2012 Mini server OSX10.12.6
CPU
2.3ghz i7 quad
Graphics
intel4000
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have read some horrific tales of their customer support. Will other power supplies work for Hackintosh builds? Thanks.

We've had VG good performance and realibility with the Corsair PSUs listed in the Buyer's Guide. Thus, their inclusion.

BTW, I also like/have Seasonic PSUs.

Ive had nothing but good experience with Corsair PSUs they are also reliable. Ive also had a few EVGA PSUs but the fans didn't last long in them. The RM 650 i have is from when i first built my Z77-DS3H back in 2013 still running strong to this date. All Desktops i have has Corsair PSUs.

Corsair power supplies are easily available in many different markets around the world. They produce a wide range of models to suit budget and office type builds up through the enthusiast market and into the higher end overclockers market.

Other brands also produce a wide range of models, if you have been building computers for a while then you may be comfortable with one of Corsair's many competitors for your computer - there is absolutely nothing wrong with going for a something else and the PSU is not restricted to only working with Windows or Linux, but I guess that you already are aware of that too. :thumbup:

Thanks folks. Not bad mouthing Corsair. I was looking at some power supplies for my first attempt at building a Hackintosh. Amazon has a Corsair AX Series, AX860, 860 Watt (860W), Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Platinum Certified with 688 customer reviews 8% are 1 star and 4% are 2 star. That is 46 failures. Many of the complaints were about customer service or lack thereof after a failure. It is Amazon so Grain-O-Salt I guess. Thanks again.

I usually buy a PSU for my next build by watching Newegg's sale emails. I don't go for the mail-in-rebate priced models unless the normal discounted price is low already. By watching these sale emails, I can find the 650 Watt Corsairs and Seasonics on sale. Looking now for the next build.

Thanks folks. Not bad mouthing Corsair. I was looking at some power supplies for my first attempt at building a Hackintosh. Amazon has a Corsair AX Series, AX860, 860 Watt (860W), Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Platinum Certified with 688 customer reviews 8% are 1 star and 4% are 2 star. That is 46 failures. Many of the complaints were about customer service or lack thereof after a failure. It is Amazon so Grain-O-Salt I guess. Thanks again.

The AX860 is widely regarded as being a quality product in its class. Overclockers love the AX model range and have for some time. It is important to remember that faults do happen, these AX models are still mass produced - its not like they are all lovingly hand crafted for the price that they actually sell for.
Folk are often quick to complain when something does not meet expectations but may not be so quick to actually give a positive review on Amazon when the product turns out to be just as advertised and works really well.

I would expect a quality model to have a failure rate of about 3% - some batches may be higher due to a faulty component from a supplier, but also some failure rates on some models will be much lower.

Twenty years or so ago you would probably have seen a Corsair service centre in many US states and almost every EU county. I bet that these days there is possibly only one or two in the entire states and only one in the EU. This is now the position for most companies because reliability is high and it keeps the overall price down to the consumer.

Lack of communication from repair centres is normal these days and sadly a 5-10 day turnaround is all too rare. The same is true in the world of jewellery, motor vehicles and other electrical items. I don't like this situation either, but it does appear to be quite common. YMMV.

If you like the Corsair AX range then I wouldn't be put off by the ratio of Amazon/Newegg type reviews. Buy with confidence.

Review results are are often negatively skewed because satisfied users are less likely too leave comments.

Actually 46 low reviews out of 688 is not bad. I recently bought a laser printer that got rave reviews from printer experts. I've had it for 3 months and am thrilled with its performance. I just looked it up on Amazon.ca. It faired as well as the Corsair PSU you mentioned, with 43 low reviews out of 570.

Even if a product gets an astronomically high number of positive reviews, you could still get a lemon.

Makes sense MR Adrian B. And I shall subscribe to Newegg sales Mr Stork. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back