Contribute
Register

Why is Apple making it so easy to run OS X on non apple machines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING
CPU
i5 8500
Graphics
RTX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I've always wanted to know this. Hackintoshing is so easy in this day and age now iMessage works without no issues like we use to have and OS X runs pretty much like a official mac on a Hackintosh is there an actual reason behind this? a while ago you had to do a lot of tinkering but on a board like the Z77-DS3H is just works updates works perfect also iMessage.

Why are apple making it so easy to run OS X on non apple machines?

I don't think Apple has done anything to make this easier. I doubt Hackintoshing is any part of any thought process at Apple. Them using somewhat industry standard parts helps. If anything the tools we use (Unibeast, Multibeast, Clover, MacIASL, etc) and knowledge base have gotten much better.

Why are apple making it so easy to run OS X on non apple machines?

Just seems to be so easy now tho :p My Z77-DS3H is so easy I find it to be native it runs so near as a official Mac :thumbup:

I think "easy" is a relative term here. I know lot of people, even a lot of fairly tech savvy people who wouldn't even try to do a Hackintosh. It is definitely easier now than when I first tried it though, the tools have gotten much better, but then so have I.

I think there are a few apple employees who monitor the community and our developments. I am sure that there have been discussions at Apple about opening up the Mac OS to be installed on other computers. Remember, putting the Mac OS on the Intel platform was done first by some engineers at Apple as a contingency study that ended up going to market. Perhaps the recent no-cost Mac OS X releases are part of the process to allow the eventual opening of the OS for official use on other computers.

I think Apple is (rightfully) worried about support issues if they open up the OS officially. With the way it currently stands, those that really want to do a Hackintosh can, but it is a bit fiddly at times, and Apple does not have to do any support at all.

I also think perhaps there is some kind of "gentlemen's agreement" between Apple and Microsoft [probably originating from Steve Jobs and Bill Gates]. Apple does brilliant all-in-ones (iMacs), Mac Mini's, Laptops and Xeon Powered Garbage Cans. However, it resolutely stays out of the regular day-to-day cheap business machines and home/game boxes that the vast majority uses. It does allow both companies to make a tidy profit while not having to deal with cut-throat competition in many markets (monopoly tactics).

I would like to see the day that Apple did put out a basic box computer that was upgradeable. Also, I would like to see OS X officially sanctioned for non-Apple hardware. Of course, I think to make it work well, they would need a much-stricter-than-Microsoft official hardware certification program [ready for OS X?]. Imagine seeing this message on screen one day:

The video card you installed is from a known Apple developer, but this version of OS X does not currently have the proper drivers to fully support all of its functions. Would you like OS X to search the vendor's website for an Apple approved and installable driver?

Pretty much Z77, Z87, Z97 chipsets are fully OS X capable look at my Z77-DS3H it practically runs like a official mac no tinkering or modifying anything it just works which is why i thought about this post because ever since 10.8 its got so much easier i can remember 10.6 days it wasn't as easy as it is now. I've got a funny feeling apple is allowing it because if they wasn't wouldn't you think they'd stop sites etc? maybe in the future apple might make it cross platform. So many people has hackintoshes. Myself runs OS X as a main OS on my 2 hacks love having a hackintosh tho tbh.

I think "easy" is a relative term here. I know lot of people, even a lot of fairly tech savvy people who wouldn't even try to do a Hackintosh. It is definitely easier now than when I first tried it though, the tools have gotten much better, but then so have I. ...

I think that compliant hardware is very key to the perception that it is easy to install OS X.

I avoid the current run of ATI and Nvidia GPUs as they just are not "in my book compliant".

Many things can be "made" to work in OS X but cause no end of support issues and again with compliant hardware it is a whole other story... OS X almost installs itself with Tony's tools.

Good modding,
neil

I've always wanted to know this. Hackintoshing is so easy in this day and age now iMessage works without no issues like we use to have and OS X runs pretty much like a official mac on a Hackintosh is there an actual reason behind this? a while ago you had to do a lot of tinkering but on a board like the Z77-DS3H is just works updates works perfect also iMessage.

A better way to phrase your title would be: "Why has it become so easy to run OS X on PC hardware ?"

Mainly because the same chips that run in Macs are currently available to purchase at any online tech
retailer. Then when you add a Gigabyte or other compatible brand board to that with the software tools
from Tonymacx86 it's so easy, even a third grader could do this. I'm sure that some kids today already
have :!:

I watched a WWDC video (I can't remember the year) that Apple made the move to Intel CPUs simply because they got more performance per watt then the Power PC chip they used. As long as Apple sticks with Intel CPUs it will be as easy or might get easier to run Mac OS on Intel systems.

The short answer is...
Apple isn't. Intel CPUs have better performance per watt and less heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back