3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 512K
  3. Plus
  4. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Years ago I built a Mac IIfx from pieces & never for the many I used it had it in a case. So to at the present time with my first Hackintosh or as my old friends called Dr Frankentosh. I started with an Asus Maximus VIII Impact 170 motherboard as I liked its output ports better than the new 270 itx boards.I added a 4.2 GHz 7700k i7 processor. At present I have not overclocked the cpu. But the 32 GB of memory is running at 2933. The motherboard reports that this system is 9% overclocked. This gives this system a GeekBench score of 5642 for single processor & 18222 for the Multi-Core score. With a 2 TB Crucial ssd the Disk speed test is 483.3 & the write speed is 351.3.I have a Noctura cooling system that is designed for a 65 watt system while this processr can draw up to 91 watts. The power supply is a 192 watt plug in unit with a large exernal power brick. At the current time this computer is set to be a Mac Mini type unit, thus ther is no pci-e video card at the moment. The unit also is running on a piece of card board & may just be put into a cord board box until I carry it a few times.

As far as the changes that I have made was the ethernet connection worked out of the box until I set the CloverLear boot loader to auto boot the system with no USB crive. That problem was resolved with using the IntelMausiEthernet v2.3.0. On an advertised Cox 150 Mbs down & 10 Mbs up system this ethernet responded at 139 down & 12 up. Like many people here the WiFi & BlueTooth 4 is not working yet, even though I have changed to a BroadComm m2 card. I used the Realtek ALC1150 audio drivers with mixed results. Audio out work from the built-in audio card only & my headset microphone works only from a usb adapter.

For in-Home Office work ethernet is preferred, but when we travel wireless is needed. I'e tried a USB 3 wireless adapter with no luck. But that also includes my 2012 MacPro. Both systems say it is not connected.To me that means the software drivers are there but the system does not want to use it. I have one card slot that will be used later on for an AMD 280x. I have one in obth of my MacPros. They have worked with 3.5 UHD displays with a 5th HD display running with USB video.

If anyone wants to see pictures I can some & post them.Also those of you that know how to get the WiFi & BlueTooth to work I'd be glad to hear. Most of the posts seem to leave that as an unfinished question.

For the immediate future I'll use a cardboard box. But I want to

build a box that can be small for carrying, but then can be easily be expanded out to hold a video card & an upgraded power supply.

To answer your topic question of why have a case is rather simple. A case provides structure for your computer components which in turn provides a certain level of bi-directional protection. The components in the case are less likely to be damaged directly or indirectly by the user and the local environment. And concurrently the user and others that may come in contact with your system are less likely to be injured by these same components.

Many systems run today without a case. These can be found in labs as well as in many users homes. I discourage the practice as improper handling of sensitive devices leaves them open to ESD (Electro Static Discharge) which leads to degraded performance and ultimately failure to perform.

Ready made cases come in all sizes and shapes (and price points). And if you are into DIY (Do It Yourself), you can enjoy designing and building your own case. Do a web search for ideas.

Good modding,
neil

As neilhart pointed out, protecting the components is probably the biggest benefit to using a case. Without one, something like a dropped paperclip can cause shorts.

Secondly, a case can help with cooling. Using fans, you can have easier control of how much air pressure is in the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back