GTX 560
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello Everyone,
I have a simple question. I know that Gigabyte's implementation of the UEFI BIOS has allowed DSDT-free install for power management and other things to work (my experience with a Z77X-UP4TH is the opposite). However, in order to have the most current BIOS it seems like in at least my case, I need to install Windows just to run BIOS updates. Isn't this counter-intuitive to having a Hackintosh when you are dependent on Windows partition to to update the BIOS?

Wouldn't a UEFI motherboard from ASUS be more applicable? The BIOS can be upgraded from thumb drive. I was not able to find the firmware for my Gigabyte board available as a file. Any clarification or advice would help. I would like to use Gigabyte boards in the future but I frankly don't see the benefit over using an ASUS UEFI mobo flashed with a custom BIOS.

I recently upgraded my GA-X79-UD5 from F12 to F13m using an USB thumbdrive from the BIOS itself. Gigabyte's OS-less BIOS upgrade feature is called "Q-Flash."

You can access it from boot screen (F9) or from within the BIOS itself.

Download the BIOS binary image file directly from Gigabyte's site, save it in the root of a FAT formatted USB stick and you're ready to upgrade.

My BIOS upgrade is only available as an .exe. I don't think that a Q-Flash BIOS file is available for my board.

My BIOS upgrade is only available as an .exe. I don't think that a Q-Flash BIOS file is available for my board.

You can't upgrade from pre-UEFI to UEFI with Q-Flash, but if you're already on a UEFI BIOS (which you are if you're talking about the Z77X-UP4TH you mentioned) the Q-Flash option should be available. The .exe file you download from Gigabyte is a self-extracting archive (that you can extract using the unarchiver that comes with Mac OS X) that contains the BIOS file - just extract it, copy the BIOS file to a thumb drive and you should be able to update it with Q-Flash.

You can't upgrade from pre-UEFI to UEFI with Q-Flash, but if you're already on a UEFI BIOS (which you are if you're talking about the Z77X-UP4TH you mentioned) the Q-Flash option should be available. The .exe file you download from Gigabyte is a self-extracting archive (that you can extract using the unarchiver that comes with Mac OS X) that contains the BIOS file - just extract it, copy the BIOS file to a thumb drive and you should be able to update it with Q-Flash.

Okay, this is great news.

Thank You NobodyNose! Your suggestion worked perfectly. I am still working on the USB ports but I was able to update the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back