CPU
i7
Graphics
GTX 560
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hello Everyone,
I have a simple question. I know that Gigabyte's implementation of the UEFI BIOS has allowed DSDT-free install for power management and other things to work (my experience with a Z77X-UP4TH is the opposite). However, in order to have the most current BIOS it seems like in at least my case, I need to install Windows just to run BIOS updates. Isn't this counter-intuitive to having a Hackintosh when you are dependent on Windows partition to to update the BIOS?

Wouldn't a UEFI motherboard from ASUS be more applicable? The BIOS can be upgraded from thumb drive. I was not able to find the firmware for my Gigabyte board available as a file. Any clarification or advice would help. I would like to use Gigabyte boards in the future but I frankly don't see the benefit over using an ASUS UEFI mobo flashed with a custom BIOS.

Motherboard
Ivy bridge
CPU
core i7 3930K
Graphics
GTX680
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I recently upgraded my GA-X79-UD5 from F12 to F13m using an USB thumbdrive from the BIOS itself. Gigabyte's OS-less BIOS upgrade feature is called "Q-Flash."

You can access it from boot screen (F9) or from within the BIOS itself.

Download the BIOS binary image file directly from Gigabyte's site, save it in the root of a FAT formatted USB stick and you're ready to upgrade.

Motherboard
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
CPU
i7
Graphics
GTX 560
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
My BIOS upgrade is only available as an .exe. I don't think that a Q-Flash BIOS file is available for my board.

nobodynose

Motherboard
ASRock Z370M Pro4
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
My BIOS upgrade is only available as an .exe. I don't think that a Q-Flash BIOS file is available for my board.

You can't upgrade from pre-UEFI to UEFI with Q-Flash, but if you're already on a UEFI BIOS (which you are if you're talking about the Z77X-UP4TH you mentioned) the Q-Flash option should be available. The .exe file you download from Gigabyte is a self-extracting archive (that you can extract using the unarchiver that comes with Mac OS X) that contains the BIOS file - just extract it, copy the BIOS file to a thumb drive and you should be able to update it with Q-Flash.

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 650
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
You can't upgrade from pre-UEFI to UEFI with Q-Flash, but if you're already on a UEFI BIOS (which you are if you're talking about the Z77X-UP4TH you mentioned) the Q-Flash option should be available. The .exe file you download from Gigabyte is a self-extracting archive (that you can extract using the unarchiver that comes with Mac OS X) that contains the BIOS file - just extract it, copy the BIOS file to a thumb drive and you should be able to update it with Q-Flash.

Okay, this is great news.

Motherboard
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
CPU
i7
Graphics
GTX 560
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Thank You NobodyNose! Your suggestion worked perfectly. I am still working on the USB ports but I was able to update the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.