Contribute
Register

Why do you want to build your own Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
WS X299 SAGE
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
There are 2 reasons for me.

1. I'm an amateur music composer, and I use Apple Logic Studio on my MBP13, but I need more powerful system to make more complicated music.

2.I',m also a sophomore majoring in computer science. And I'm interested in all technics about computers, so I want to try this OSX86 tech myself.

Those are my reasons, and what are your reaasons? :)

Re: Why do you want to build your own Hacintosh?

I like to tinker, I love OS X, and I wanted some expandability in my machine.

I'm sick of Windows. It's a clunky OS that slows down way too fast and feels clumsy to use. Being a YouTube partner, I need a good computer for video editing. Mac OS is great for that, as well as everything else it does. I fell that OSX actually helps me accomplish what I'm trying to do, rather than just using it, which is what I feel on Windows.

Also, I love tinkering with computers and trying new things. Once you go Mac, ther's no going back!

I went with a hackintosh mainly because Apple wasn't giving me what I wanted. I don't need all of the power of Mac Pro. An 4-core iMac would be fine for me, but I want a nice GPU for gaming, and Apple doesn't even have build to orders for better GPUs on the iMac. I do understand that it's really hard to put something as powerful as the 5870 in side of an iMac. I also understand, that Apple is not going to make a mid-range tower anytime soon (if ever).

Going with a hackintosh gives me these options, and much more.

i have a Macbook pro 13 2010, but need a more powerfull system to run ubuntu and windows at the same time in dual display 24 inch mode. MacMan helped me chosing the right one, an X58 system, works like a charm, and about the cost, this is all the money i can afford right now, so thinking in a real mac is not a choice for me at the moment, but hey... i like to dream, so maybe some day we could built an 12 core hackintosh...

I bought a refurbished Imac 27" i7 2.93GHZ machine in November for £1530 (About $2450) it arrived D.O.A with a cracked inner screen.

It had a 2TB HD/8GB RAM which were nice freebie upgrades.

Phoned up Apple they refused to swap like for like - at the start refused any compensation and couldnt even send me another pc just refund my card.

Wrote a letter of complaint - got fobbed off - made a total of 12 phone calls before getting their European CEO to phone me.

I got a wee bit of compensation £70 ($100?) but the whole thing stank.

I am sure "proper" Mac users do not have to mess around trying to get the audio/graphics to work etc etc but atleast I have total control over upgrades.

Having just built a top spec Sandy Bridge i7-2600k machine with a SSD for £800 I am very happy with its initial performance.

Apple make good gadgets like the iPod and iPad (Which I own) but the total lack of upgradeability on an iMac is to much.

I wanted an SSD - They charge £400 for a 256GB which is apparently very poor specced - Want more HD? You need to go external usb etc.

Atleast with this new Hackintosh I can upgrade what I want when I want at a cost I want :)

Happy days :)

Sparty

Simple for me; I hate windows and traditionally used Ubuntu linux. Unfortunately, my partner doesn't like it and gets annoyed with dual booting, so I built the hackintosh as a compromise. He can play most of his games on it because Blizzard are nice like that.
I love Mac OS X now though and doubt I'll ever go back to purely using linux unless 10.7 locks us all out of upgrading.
Now if only I could fix these damned NV4xx series freezes...

I've owned a MacBook for 2 years now and all I had to do was take it out of the box and turn it on. I never had to scan,defrag, and clean registry etc.. Last weekend I turned on my W7 desktop that I hardly use and internet explorer would not goto any sites. I ran malwarebytes and this thing had 16 viruses on it... Comcast gives nortons virus scan for free so I use that, and it's sitting their green like everything is ok.

So I did a google search and found this site, and a week later I'm so happy I did. My hackintosh is almost 100% done... Just need to fix the sleep issue and front audio port not working.

I've been a mac user my whole life-- and I admit to loving their industrial design. It all started with my parent's IIsi... and I've been an evangelist (I would not call myself a fanboy, this was before it was "cool" and I don't ignore Apple's faults), when appropriate, since.

There are a few reasons why I'm building a hackintosh:

- I love to tinker. I remember overclocking an old Mac tower (I think it was a G3 300, but it might have been G4 dual 450) by messing with jumper blocks on the motherboard over a decade ago. Great fun, and didn't burn anything out. About a year ago, I bought an eeePC netbook because Apple didn't make what I needed for travel/work: lightweight, small, cheap, long battery life, minimal power machine I wouldn't be upset about losing, breaking, or having stolen in some of the dodgy places I travel to. That was my first hackintosh introduction-- and I'm typing this post from 10.6.5 on this perfect little machine.

- Apple doesn't make a product that I really want at a price point I feel great about buying. My current desktop is an aging iMac C2D 2.16 w/ 4GB RAM and 256MB VRAM. It's treated me well, but with my photography, and increasingly video, work, it can't quite keep up. I also don't like the idea of relying on Apple if one component burns out, or one component becomes a major bottleneck-- hell, I can't even replace the HD without major surgery (see: ungluing foil wrapper, etc). I don't NEED 8-core or 12-core dual processors, and I can't afford it anyway.

- I am moving to Germany in the spring, and the cost for Macs being in Euros (I will continue to be paid in USD) puts even a 27-inch, 4-core iMac further out of range. I can't buy a machine like that here and bring it to Germany (how to transport).

... So I'm going hackintosh. It solves all the problems: much lower cost for much better performance, not locked into a whole system-- I can upgrade/replace components, easy enough to buy components in the states and bring them over(while avoiding zoll)/euro penalty on components isn't so bad if I buy local in Germany anyway. And I can build the machine that exactly fits my requirements (see sig).

Now I just hope this machine holds me over long enough until I can afford 8/12 core, LGA 2011, in 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back