Contribute
Register

Why Didn't My NVMe SSD Get Converted to AFPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I did that. I got the APFS.efi from my macOS installer that I downloaded and replaced the other old one.

Okay when I select the drive (and not the partition), convert to APFS stays greyed out. Only when I select the partition does it become available. I'm confused. Maybe the computer gods don't want me to upgrade for some reason :p..
Your SSD is an NVME? Have u done changes to enable NVME for Sierra? Are these changes still in your config.plist? High Sierra don't need it any longer...NVME should work OOB.

I have the exact same issue. I can't convert my 960 Evo to APFS:
R3B9lUT.jpg

Your SSD is an NVME? Have u done changes to enable NVME for Sierra? Are these changes still in your config.plist? High Sierra don't need it any longer...NVME should work OOB.

I used Rehabman's class spoof to make the NVME work in Sierra. There is no need to change anything in the config.plist to make it work. I removed the SSDT and Kext before upgrading so there should be nothing else interfering.

I used Rehabman's class spoof to make the NVME work in Sierra. There is no need to change anything in the config.plist to make it work. I removed the SSDT and Kext before upgrading so there should be nothing else interfering.
Same.

My boot drive is also a 960 EVO M2 NVMe drive and I have the exact same issue as the two others in this thread.

I did:
  • none of the existing 10.12 NVMe patch stuff remains (spoofed kext or the SSDT file)
  • trimforce disable to attempt to disable TRIM on the drive
  • booted into recovery mode
  • unmounted the volume
  • attempted to convert to APFS
  • the conversion failed with the same -69888 error

As an aside I was able to successfully convert an external regular drive to APFS w/no problem

My boot drive is also a 960 EVO M2 NVMe drive and I have the exact same issue as the two others in this thread.

I did:
  • none of the existing 10.12 NVMe patch stuff remains (spoofed kext or the SSDT file)
  • trimforce disable to attempt to disable TRIM on the drive
  • booted into recovery mode
  • unmounted the volume
  • attempted to convert to APFS
  • the conversion failed with the same -69888 error

As an aside I was able to successfully convert an external regular drive to APFS w/no problem

The trimforce command has no effect on NVMe. It is for SATA only.
You don't want APFS on NVMe anyway. Too many problems at this point.

If you insist, you might check that the volume is healthy and that you have the latest firmware.

The trimforce command has no effect on NVMe. It is for SATA only.
You don't want APFS on NVMe anyway. Too many problems at this point.

Perfect! That was the answer I was looking for :)

I haven't been able to convert and I don't really want to I am just curious now as to why it didn't auto convert to APFS in the first place.

What are the problems exactly with APFS and NVME drives? Is it problems with 3rd party NVME's or also problems with Apple's proprietary NVME's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back