Contribute
Register

Why can I only boot with Unibeast USB boot loader, not chameleon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
R830
CPU
i5
Graphics
HD3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi, There:
I got a very strange thing happened here with my Toshiba R830 laptop. I use unibeast 1.61 to create a install USB, and use the USB to install mountain lion 10.8.2 on the 2nd hard disk of my R830. then I modified the kexts in S/L/E. all modified kexts works fine. I can boot to USB then choose the ML in 2nd harddisk and everything is great. but when I tried to install chameleon in my first hard disk to create a multi-boot system, then something strange happened.

my R830 is sandy bridge core i5 with HD3000 internal display chip. 8GB RAM. I have intel SSD as my first hard disk, and replace the original ODD with a 2nd hard disk.

the primary system is win 7 installed in SSD, the first hard disk.
and I install the ML in 2nd harddisk then I install multi-beast and modified kexts. I can boot into ML when I boot first into the installation USB created with unibeast.

in order to have a multi-boot environment, I then installed chameleon on my first hard disk. but every time I boot with chameleon, then choose my ML partition on 2nd hard disk, the ML won't boot. I can see the booting sequence, it goes smooth all the way to the last message shown that the ML core loads a NTFS driver which recognizes my first hard disk.
with successful booting following the bootloader with installation USB, the ML will show up the login screen right away.
but with chameleon boot loader, the ML simply stops booting after recognizing the NTFS partition.
both sequences are the same, I couldn't figure out what's going on.
Is there any one ever encounter similar problem? I really need some help.
or is it possible to install chimera boot loader in an NTFS partition? if I could duplicate the boot loader from the installation USB to my NTFS partition, then this problem should be solved. but too bad I couldn't find any way to install chimera 1.11.1 on NTFS partition.

well, I found a quick answer by myself but raise another question.
I copied the two .plist file (boot.xXX....., and the SMBIOS.plist) from the extra folder in USB to the extra folder in my ML partition, and I reinstall the chameleon to my NTFS partition again, now, I can finally booth into ML with chameleon.

but here comes a new question, with the boot guide from USB, the ML uses my external VGA as primary display, and the internal display and 2nd display in extended desktop mode.
but when I boot with the chameleon boot loader in my NTFS partition, only the external VGA will be used, the internal VGA is not enabled. I don't know what's going on. should I copy those video related kexts from the install USB extra folders to my ML partition as well?

maybe i should give it a try later. wish me luck.

I am having a similar issue, the Unibeast bootloader is the only one that will boot my os. Kind of annoying to always have a usb in. The other bootloaders either cause booting issues or if i am able to boot in -x mode i get no mouse or keyboard support. The unibeast bootloader works great!I would like to just keep using that (its not possible to get it on a CD or HDD right?)

How were you able to move the files, if you could explain a little bit more i would GREATLY appreciate it.

I have a Lenovo y570 core i7 8 gb ram.

Please Reply!!

I am having a similar issue, the Unibeast bootloader is the only one that will boot my os. Kind of annoying to always have a usb in. The other bootloaders either cause booting issues or if i am able to boot in -x mode i get no mouse or keyboard support. The unibeast bootloader works great!I would like to just keep using that (its not possible to get it on a CD or HDD right?)

How were you able to move the files, if you could explain a little bit more i would GREATLY appreciate it.

I have a Lenovo y570 core i7 8 gb ram.

Please Reply!!

The Unibeast USB has a lot of kexts and a generic setup to work on most systems just for installing. It is definitely not optimal for everyday use (no power management, often not correct video drivers/resolution, limited networking, etc). The idea is to use it get OS X installed, then fix the issues, with DSDT edits, kext installs, proper org.chameleon.Boot.plist, and proper smbios.plist.

For keyboard and mouse on most laptops you need to know what trackpad you have and then install the kext package for that hardware. If you have Synaptics, my version of VoodooPS2 is an excellent choice. But it depends on what hardware you have in your laptop.

You can copy the entire /Extra folder from the USB to your harddisk, then install Chimera and you'll be able to boot from the HDD just like the USB. But that's the problem, you don't want to run your system day-to-day with the setup that is provided on the Unibeast USB...

Thanks for the reply if i tell you some of components maybe you can help me,

i have a lenovo y570 with a core i7-2670QM 8 GB ram , Realtek ALC272 audio , NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M / Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mobile Intel HM65 Express and standard PS/2 keyboard and mouse.

If you could help me with installing multibeast that'd be great, im kind of new at this.

Also on a side note, even tho i installed multibeast to my MAC drive windows still boots normally when i turn on my computer?

Also on a side note, even tho i installed multibeast to my MAC drive windows still boots normally when i turn on my computer?

You don't "install Multibeast." You "use" Multibeast to "install" things (drivers/boot loaders, etc). Unless you have installed the Chimera boot loader with Multibeast, the Windows boot loader is still present.

That is what I meant by installing multibeast, I installed the bootloader chimera but when I turn on my computer I am still getting windows

That is what I meant by installing multibeast, I installed the bootloader chimera but when I turn on my computer I am still getting windows

Your hd with Chimera has to be the first drive listed in bios or it won't boot to Chimera (just as if you had a bootable CD in the optical drive and the optical drive was first boot device).

I only have one hard drive, i have a mac and windows partition on the single 500 gb harddrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back