Contribute
Register

Why are we still recommending Nvidia cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z97X-Gaming 7
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I read nothing but issues on the Nvidia side while none or very minimal on the AMD side (except for vega).
AMD is not even mentioned in the Buyers Guide, what gives?
New people trust our opinion and buy Nvidia and then they're stuck with the black screen and what not.
I personally know my GTX970 is crap with adobe apps and that even a security update can mess up my install.
Although I 'm still running the GTX970 according to the info I have gathered so far I would only recommend the RX560 for OOB (low/mid performance) or RX580 for high performance using two kexts.
But maybe I'm missing something here. All those folks being happy and hassle free moving from Nvidia to AMD probably pulling our leg?
Alright, end of rant ;) Sorry if this thread seems useless mods, please remove it of so.

Good luck and take care guys!

Besides updates, I have zero issues with my Nvidia cards. I keep my machines up to date and always wait for Nvidia, patience is really simple.

Besides updates, I have zero issues with my Nvidia cards. I keep my machines up to date and always wait for Nvidia, patience is really simple.

With all due respect but not using a piece of hardware to it's maximum potential doesn't mean you know for a fact that it's issue free bro. I use this rig up to 12 hours a day for work, thats intense use of Photoshop and Lightroom most of the time and then some 3D. These Nvidia cards, especially the GTX970 since I have no experience with Pascal is far from stable in this environment.
Are you even using the GPU in Photoshop and Lightroom or disabled/toned down? There is a world of difference in 4K btw when you disable the GPU in Lightroom.
I stopped using sleep because it was getting unreliable after wake, same with many other Nvidia cards so it seems. I do remember it was the same with AMD's but I bet even that got solved in High Sierra.
I'm not upgrading to High Sierra because there's a good chance things get screwed up again wheres with AMD it's two kexts and done. Security updates break Nvidia, same for AMD?
Again, after using the GTX970 extensively I can guarantee you that it's not stable in OSX using Adobe apps and I bet when I will get the RX580 these glitches will go away. But this card is not cheap and I will only be buying it for stability and not as an actual upgrade, hence I try to survive with the GTX970 as long as possible because I would rather spend it on MOBO/CPU/RAM upgrades.
But by all means do continue using and recommending Nvidia, as long as you're not trying to convince me ;)
No offence of course. You do some great work here and even helped me so you have my respect no matter what.

AMD GPUs have reached a recommendable state just a few weeks ago (basically with the discoveries related to RadeonDeInit, solving "boot to black screen" and "black screen after wake" issues). Your GTX 970 definitely was the best choice back in the days you've build your rig.

We've already discussed this internally and I guess we'll start adding some Radeon options in the future. Btw, there's always been the "Radeon Compatibility Guide" for information on and discussion of AMD GPUs.
Recommending specific GPUs can be a little more difficult though, as Apple makes the AMD drivers with their specific GPU solutions in mind. Supporting every 3rd party GPU out their isn't a requirement, so Radeon GPUs are more likely to lose some ports in macOS or become glitchy in multi-monitor setups.

But I'm also really happy that we finally have a mature alternative to Nvidia GPUs. They have been perfectly fine for the majority of users, but they've always been weak in OpenCL and Metal support seems to be even worse. I've currently installed a GTX 980Ti in my main rig, and Metal 2 support (which more and more games/apps start to utilize) is just a joke.

Well I don't wanna sound rude, but how about you check some settings for your hackintosh?
I'm working on my hacktinosh every day for like 10 hours too. Sitting in front of Photoshop all day long.. And I've got zero problems.

Premiere Pro runs like a beast with my nvidia card... The only bad thing I encounter is, that FCPX isn't running very well. But that has nothing to do with nvidia.

I just don't understand why you rant about nvidia cards :D In my opinion you can solve (almost) every problem with nvidia cards with just a little bit of searching on the forum. Most of the time it isn't even hard work thanks to the ppl here writing guides or implementing it in multibeast :)

With all due respect but not using a piece of hardware to it's maximum potential doesn't mean you know for a fact that it's issue free bro. I use this rig up to 12 hours a day for work, thats intense use of Photoshop and Lightroom most of the time and then some 3D. These Nvidia cards, especially the GTX970 since I have no experience with Pascal is far from stable in this environment.
Are you even using the GPU in Photoshop and Lightroom or disabled/toned down? There is a world of difference in 4K btw when you disable the GPU in Lightroom.
I stopped using sleep because it was getting unreliable after wake, same with many other Nvidia cards so it seems. I do remember it was the same with AMD's but I bet even that got solved in High Sierra.
I'm not upgrading to High Sierra because there's a good chance things get screwed up again wheres with AMD it's two kexts and done. Security updates break Nvidia, same for AMD?
Again, after using the GTX970 extensively I can guarantee you that it's not stable in OSX using Adobe apps and I bet when I will get the RX580 these glitches will go away. But this card is not cheap and I will only be buying it for stability and not as an actual upgrade, hence I try to survive with the GTX970 as long as possible because I would rather spend it on MOBO/CPU/RAM upgrades.
But by all means do continue using and recommending Nvidia, as long as you're not trying to convince me ;)
No offence of course. You do some great work here and even helped me so you have my respect no matter what.

I am a designer and developer and I use a hackintosh at work (GT 710) and at home (GTX 970). I spend all of my time in Adobe applications (CC 2018) and do not have any issues. There were issues when Maxwell support first started but I have not experienced any for a very long time.

I 100% agree with OP. I tried a GTX 1050 and GTX 1060 in my build and had lots of issues with both - mostly in Jetbrains IDEs (Android Studio and AppCode). My entire system would get extremely laggy and the only solution was to unplug my HDMI/DisplayPort cable for a few seconds, then plug it back in. This gets very old after doing it for the 20th time in a day. The GTX 1060 had the additional problem of the black screen on waking up from sleep.

I just picked up an RX Vega 64 and couldn't be happier. I haven't had a single issue of any kind on the 10.13.2 beta (now final).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back