Contribute
Register

Who is still buying the 2014 Mac Mini and 2013 Mac Pro ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trs96

Motherboard
Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
CPU
i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
It looks like large data centers in the USA and Europe love these machines. o_O What, data centers ? This is a video tour of MacStadium in Las Vegas NV. iOS devs that don't own a Mac use their services for coding. MacStadium doesn't seem to care whether or not the internal storage is upgradable or not because they don't even use it. It's hard to hear much of the dialogue due to the noisy server rooms so turn on Closed Captions to see what they are saying.

Last edited:
It looks like large data centers in the USA and Europe love these machines. o_O What, data centers ? This is a video tour of MacStadium in Las Vegas NV. They don't seem to care whether or not the internal storage is upgradable or not because they don't even use it. It's hard to hear much of the dialogue due to the noisy server rooms so turn on Closed Captions to see what they are saying.

Thanks for the link. That's very interesting.

Like the way they turn the screens of the iMac Pros around so that they can't see what users are doing!

I was a bit confused as to why the reliance on 2013 Mac Pros too, but Apple still offers them for sale so they are still being produced. Maybe Mac Stadium are the only customer nowadays!

As for the Mac Minis, well that's just a testament to their reliability, even if it is a micro-percentage order of magnitutde less than Mac Pros.

So do you think the new Mini was developed for these server/pro applications in mind, and selling them to retail customers like us, is just an added benefit?

:)

So do you think the new Mini was developed for these server/pro applications in mind, and selling them to retail customers like us, is just an added benefit?
Well, the shoutout to MacStadium in the 10/30 event in NYC certainly implies that. Apple has to be very happy someone is buying all those 2013 MPs too. What would they do with them otherwise ? Use them at the Spaceship campus in Cupertino as ash trays ? I was impressed too that the reliability was so high for these machines that are on 24/7. The low power usage is important to a server farm like that as well, can you imagine the size of their electric bills if they didn't have them ?

... can you imagine the size of their electric bills if they didn't have them ?

Indeed, one of the reasons I kept my old one. Not just sentiment. Power consumption so low but still a desktop computer. Reliability a given.

Last time I owned an iMac (I've sold it on now) I did the maths - Mac Mini + monitor + keyboard + mouse + speakers = an iMac on sale, so I snapped it up. Same core spec. That logic doesn't work any more, sadly.

Mind you I noticed in the official Apple video that they stacked their new Minis vertically. Wonder if one way is better than the other?

Oh, and MacPros on their sides! :eek:

Well, the shoutout to MacStadium in the 10/30 event in NYC certainly implies that. Apple has to be very happy someone is buying all those 2013 MPs too. What would they do with them otherwise ? Use them at the Spaceship campus in Cupertino as ash trays ? I was impressed too that the reliability was so high for these machines that are on 24/7. The low power usage is important to a server farm like that as well, can you imagine the size of their electric bills if they didn't have them ?

Auto engineers love the 2013 Mac Pro, because it is so quiet. I really loved mine! My friend purchased it for me with his employee discount in early 2014. It is now running a friends Music Studio and that thing has been on 24/7, in its new home they leave it on at night to batch render tracks, so it never gets a break. I have never had a windows computer that was that reliable after this many years.

Mind you I noticed in the official Apple video that they stacked their new Minis vertically. Wonder if one way is better than the other?

Oh, and MacPros on their sides! :eek:

I had my 2013 pro on its side on a stand no one ever knew what it was. I notice no difference in temature or performance in the new mini when it is on its side; horizontal bottom up, or down; lid on, or off. I did notice that when I put it on aluminum stand that it ran about 3c cooler if it was upside down but I that was due to surface contact area not better air flow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back