Contribute
Register

White Apple Powermac G4 Mod from overclock.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mbar97 said:
Fabulous mod. Love the design. Makes me want to go looking for these old clunkers on eBay.

+1

Gus said:
minihack said:
Yep, this build was a good inspiration. I've had it bookmarked for quite a while now in my search for ideas for all my G4s.

I seem to be collecting G4s at the moment with four units and three builds happening at the same time - my MDD that I am finishing off, one of sawtooth Macs and my latest is an amazing Quicksilver that is immaculate apart from dead PSU that I bought for £1.20.

I'm developing kits of laser cut parts for all these models to make modding easier....
Words can not express my love for you. :D

Is it just me or is that just a bit creepy???!

Anyway......I'll try to take it positively!

minihack said:
Gus said:
minihack said:
Yep, this build was a good inspiration. I've had it bookmarked for quite a while now in my search for ideas for all my G4s.

I seem to be collecting G4s at the moment with four units and three builds happening at the same time - my MDD that I am finishing off, one of sawtooth Macs and my latest is an amazing Quicksilver that is immaculate apart from dead PSU that I bought for £1.20.

I'm developing kits of laser cut parts for all these models to make modding easier....
Words can not express my love for you. :D

Is it just me or is that just a bit creepy???!

Anyway......I'll try to take it positively!
Wee bit excessive. My bad. But putting that aside. kits...? any concepts/ideas/prototypes/photos. anything to get as all excited for them? What models will you be making them for?

Gus said:
Wee bit excessive. My bad. But putting that aside. kits...? any concepts/ideas/prototypes/photos. anything to get as all excited for them? What models will you be making them for?

:D

Ok. In the works:

(1) a combined laptop DVD writer and front I/O set of USBs headphone and mic input that will fit into space where full DVD goes on the sawtooth/yikes/gigabit/dig audio models - it is only as deep as the laptop drive and sits nicely behind the flap so is hidden away and gets around the traditional issues of having to saw one corner of the DVD drive away while giving full I?O function at the front.
(2) A template that will fit over the mounting posts of the side doors and allows simple drilling of the exact positions for a Micro ATX board standoffs for using original PCI brackets etc - this template when cut from acrylic also doubles as a pre-made motherboard tray that screws to existing holes on the side door. Hard to explain but you'll get it when you see it.
(3) For the MDD an alternate front panel (still mirrored) that allows an extra 120mm fan to be fitted (no drilling needed) and that also brings full I/O to the front
(4) For the Quicksilver another no drill solution for the two front flaps - top one to include a nice Corsair I/O solution with firewire, two USB 2.0, two USB 3.0 and headphone/mic and for the lower one to include a hot swap SSD port......

So that is the taster. Bad news is pic.s and full details will still have to wait a short while as i am snowed under with real work, we have a wedding to attend and a new rescue dog arriving in the next week. I will though on each of these 4 things be posting details on here to show what goes on and will also be posting the files for the motherboard tray drilling template.

Hoping at the moment too that the dog won't be one who likes to steal computer bits and bury them.

Is that enough of a preview???

:wave:

:D

Ok. In the works:

(1) a combined laptop DVD writer and front I/O set of USBs headphone and mic input that will fit into space where full DVD goes on the sawtooth/yikes/gigabit/dig audio models - it is only as deep as the laptop drive and sits nicely behind the flap so is hidden away and gets around the traditional issues of having to saw one corner of the DVD drive away while giving full I?O function at the front.
(2) A template that will fit over the mounting posts of the side doors and allows simple drilling of the exact positions for a Micro ATX board standoffs for using original PCI brackets etc - this template when cut from acrylic also doubles as a pre-made motherboard tray that screws to existing holes on the side door. Hard to explain but you'll get it when you see it.
(3) For the MDD an alternate front panel (still mirrored) that allows an extra 120mm fan to be fitted (no drilling needed) and that also brings full I/O to the front
(4) For the Quicksilver another no drill solution for the two front flaps - top one to include a nice Corsair I/O solution with firewire, two USB 2.0, two USB 3.0 and headphone/mic and for the lower one to include a hot swap SSD port......

So that is the taster. Bad news is pic.s and full details will still have to wait a short while as i am snowed under with real work, we have a wedding to attend and a new rescue dog arriving in the next week. I will though on each of these 4 things be posting details on here to show what goes on and will also be posting the files for the motherboard tray drilling template.

Hoping at the moment too that the dog won't be one who likes to steal computer bits and bury them.

Is that enough of a preview???

:wave:

SWEET! Can't wait minihack! The company is the laser hive.

Curious choices of his;

a) Why did he place the manual fan controls onto the power supply inside(!) of the casing?! He always needs to open the side panel to regulate fan speed.

b) The power cord of the power supply seems to be at the bottom of the case. What do you do should you ever need to quickly pull the plug? Lifting the case up? What happens when you open the side panel--does the cord come off? Do you need to plug it back each time closing the thing again lifting the case up? Do you need to draw the cord to somewhere each time? Each time you regulate fans you need to readjust or rearrange the cord. Horrible technical decision of his.

c) The power supply draws fresh air from the front of the case...with no noteworthy openings?! And it blows hot air out of the bottom. One of the worst choices, I think. Pulling fresh air from the bottom blowing it out/towards the front would be much better, assuredly. Switching the power supplies position so that it would get fresh air from the bottom fan would be much better, too, but that would of course get into the way of cooling the graphic cards.

d) Placing hard drives directly on top of one another with almost no free space for air between them to breathe is a serious n00bish error. Heat accumulations assured! Placing a fan right before it (one that has no option to draw fresh air from outside in no way, similar to the power supplies placement below) does not help that matter. Blowing warm air over warm metal...

e) The 120mm fan in the side panel is probably more for optical reasons. The original placed 120mm fan in that case draws fresh air not from the side (that's only secondary) but from the back's openings into the case. This here does not work well for air flow. But the 120mm fan in the bottom makes up for this with cooling the graphic cards.

f) Where the Cpu cooler is supposed to draw all the fresh frontal air from is beyond my understanding -- there would need to be a 120mm fan (at minimum) at the front panel to support it.

---SUMMARY---
Optical value: Very nice.
Air flow value: Average.
Technical value: Limited.

Not sure why anyone would get a price for this except for optical neon-drooling factor (but for this its really good) and well deserved honorifics for a lot of work.

We have way better modded machines here at Tonymacx than this piece. (Just check out the Granny Smith mod somewhere around this place.) :thumbup:

I can't believe I didn't notice this thread earlier, and I am glad you guys like my work.

That case is currently home to an i3 2100 based Home/Minecraft server for my kids. I have my Quicksilver and my G5 set aside for future mods, I will try to remember to post them once I get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back