Contribute
Register

Which Xeon CPU and motherboards are supported?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I want to make a Hackintosh with 10 to 18 cores CPU. and I need to know which Motherboard is supported and which CPUs.

Your list has only desktop grade i7 CPU and motherboards.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I want to make a Hackintosh with 10 to 18 cores CPU. and I need to know which Motherboard is supported and which CPUs.

Thanks in advance.

There is a reason why the Buyer's Guide only has desktop grade hardware.

If by support you mean MacOS native support, then no current Xeons with that many cores are natively supported. No Macs, current or slightly older, uses these processors.

There are success stories using X99 and compatible Xeons, but installing MacOS on these hardware is not straightforward. For example : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/12-core-x99-hackintosh-pro-build.170818/

Hello,

Thanks in advance.
Apple did use Xeon CPUs in the 2013 Mac Pro but those are now nearly 5 years old. You would have to build an X79 or similar server chipset build to use one of those chips in a build. Probably not a good investment today. If the iMac Pro uses X299 and I9 CPUs later this year there may be native support. Need to wait and see what happens.

Apple did use Xeon CPUs in the 2013 Mac Pro but those are now nearly 5 years old. You would have to build an X79 or similar server chipset build to use one of those chips in a build. Probably not a good investment today. If the iMac Pro uses X299 and I9 CPUs later this year there may be native support. Need to wait and see what happens.

Is there an update to this question? I'm thinking about rebuilding with a new motherboard and cpu for Avid editing, with equivalent to recent 12 core MacPros...

Is there an update to this question? I'm thinking about rebuilding with a new motherboard and cpu for Avid editing, with equivalent to recent 12 core MacPros...
See the X299 guide by KGP in High Sierra Desktop Guides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back