Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG RAMPAGE 10 Edition 10 X99
CPU
Graphics
R290
Hi,

I wanna upgrade to the Chaintech GA-Q77M-D2H. A Q77 chipset. I want this chipset because of the VT-D virtualisation possibilitys and the vPro and so.

I also want Dp/DVI/HDMI onboard output. So the only board is the chaintech GA-Q77M-D2H. I will use the I7 3770 processor. (not k!) and 16 gb ram, and 2 SSD (1 for hackintosh and for windows 8) and 2 tb seagate for data (both win/hackintosh)

a few questions:

- Can I enable both Radeon 6850 and the onboard IGP Intel 4000 videocard WITH DP/DVI/HDMI (so no vga, because i need the digital ports for my triple monitor setup).
- Can I run triple screen? (with the IGP AND/OR the Radeon 6850)?
- Can I use both card, lets say 2 ports of the IGP 4000 and 1 port (or even more) from the Radeon 6850? Or can I even use 6 monitor outputs?
- I used to have a Q6600 Nvidia 650 board with snow leopard, where i could use triple screen (radeon 6850). There was a lot of information about this board. The chaintech board is different, I can't find a lot of information, this sucks. Can this be a problem in the future?
- Is there a better solution for me? Other board orso?
- Does everything work with this setup? I never got sleep working for example with my old setup, but that's fixed now, what about the other options?
- Can I use parallels extreme with VT-D to emulate windows 8 native (with pass-through radeon 6850)?
- Does Digital out works for the sound?
- Same for HDMI sound (i read somewhere that it works, but after fix)

advanced questions:

- Can I use virtualisation tools like ESXi/XEN for a real hackintosh virtual VT-D setup? So let's say 1 for windows 8 with the HD 4000 card and 1 for the hackintosh setup with the radeon 6850 card. Both covering 3/3 monitor output? And 8 GB both?

Ok thats it for now. Lot of questions, hopefully I get the answers :)

Thanks a lot!

I wanna upgrade to the Chaintech GA-Q77M-D2H.
"Chaintech"? You mean Gigabyte? That's a Gigabyte part number.

A Q77 chipset. I want this chipset because of the VT-D virtualisation possibilitys and the vPro and so.
These things are in the CPU, not the chipset. An i7-3770 in a Z77 board would give you this (like several other people here I have VT-d working on a Z77 board - nothing motherboard-specific about it). PJALM uses it to run Windows games inside an emulator with direct GPU access.

- Can I use both card, lets say 2 ports of the IGP 4000 and 1 port (or even more) from the Radeon 6850? Or can I even use 6 monitor outputs?
Have you seen this thread?
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...d3000-hd4000-amd-nvidia-working-together.html

An i7-3770 in a Z77 board would give you this (like several other people here I have VT-d working on a Z77 board - nothing motherboard-specific about it).

DBP,

Are you using AppleACPIPlatform.kext from 10.8.1 to get VT-d to work under 10.8.2 with the i7-3770??? I can't use the one from 10.8.2, it kernel panics with VT-d enabled.

Are you using AppleACPIPlatform.kext from 10.8.1 to get VT-d to work under 10.8.2 with the i7-3770??? I can't use the one from 10.8.2, it kernel panics with VT-d enabled.
Yep.

48036-enable-vt-d-multibeast.png

Hopefully it will be cleaner with 10.8.3.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Chaintech"? You mean Gigabyte? That's a Gigabyte part number.

These things are in the CPU, not the chipset. An i7-3770 in a Z77 board would give you this (like several other people here I have VT-d working on a Z77 board - nothing motherboard-specific about it). PJALM uses it to run Windows games inside an emulator with direct GPU access.

Have you seen this thread?
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...d3000-hd4000-amd-nvidia-working-together.html

You're absolutely right, too much time @pc :) The Gigabyte off course. VT-D is chipset dependent. It's true that it works sometimes with a Z77 board, but not all the functions work properly (VT-D will work half sometimes and so). But I orded the whole setup, yeah!

VT-D is chipset dependent.
This distinction may have got a bit blurrier in recent years with some of the chipset functions ("northbridge") being subsumed into the CPU die.

It's true that it works sometimes with a Z77 board, but not all the functions work properly (VT-D will work half sometimes and so).
The BIOS having an Enabled/Disabled switch for it should be a decent indicator, and even some Intel Z77 boards are listed as supporting it. Have you got any references to instances where some part of it fails?

This distinction may have got a bit blurrier in recent years with some of the chipset functions ("northbridge") being subsumed into the CPU die.

The BIOS having an Enabled/Disabled switch for it should be a decent indicator, and even some Intel Z77 boards are listed as supporting it. Have you got any references to instances where some part of it fails?

DBP,

Now that i have VT-d enabled, come to find out, the virtualization apps (VMware Fusion/Parallels Desktop) do not support VT-d, only VT-x. There are no options in either app to use it. You need to use VMWare ESXi to get VT-d. So, it looks like we don't need VT-d, there is no OS X apps that use it, unless you know one??

Now that i have VT-d enabled, come to find out, the virtualization apps (VMware Fusion/Parallels Desktop) do not support VT-d, only VT-x. There are no options in either app to use it. You need to use VMWare ESXi to get VT-d. So, it looks like we don't need VT-d, there is no OS X apps that use it, unless you know one??

It's enabled on two of my systems (including my MacBook Pro), but I haven't found a use for it yet (so far I only use it with non-OSX systems on other machines: XenServer and VMware ESXi). But user PJALM here says he uses it within OSX: I guess we need to ask how.

It's enabled on two of my systems (including my MacBook Pro), but I haven't found a use for it yet (so far I only use it with non-OSX systems on other machines: XenServer and VMware ESXi). But user PJALM here says he uses it within OSX: I guess we need to ask how.

I agree, we need to ask how and what App he is using. I have it enabled, but no use for it, like you said. I use ESXi at work everyday.

Parallels extreme does support vT-D, it's a different version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back