Contribute
Register

Which NAS do you use with your Hackintosh ?

I built a Synology clone (kinda like hackintosh for Synology).

I started off with an 8 bay case and switched to 12 bays while reusing the same internal hardware this year to run a second array because I wanted to reuse the 3.5" drives I pulled from my hackintosh with my Mac Studio. The motherboard I am using has 12 built-in SATA ports so it worked out perfectly.

I love the Synology DSM and SHR/SHR2. DSM is super user friendly and easy to use. SHR/SHR2 allows me to mix n match drives of different capacities and easily upgrade the capacity of the arrays just by swapping out smaller capacity drives with larger ones. These two features are what I loved about the Drobos.

Since I use 10GBase-T, performance of my NAS is fantastic and several magnitudes faster than my old Drobos. The time it takes to upgrade the capacity of an array is also much faster.
View attachment 554046

In terms of reliability, Synology DSM itself has been rock solid. I did have a problem with my hardware because of an Intel flaw on the SoC that's used on my motherboard. Luckily, I was able to return the motherboard to AsRock and they replaced it with a board that has an SoC with a fix. Other than that, I haven't had any downtime in the six years this NAS has been in service.

You could create a tutorial for us. I took 3 months to make one fully functional. Thanks

You could create a tutorial for us. I took 3 months to make one fully functional. Thanks

Google "xpenology forum". They have great guides and all the info you need.

Linus reviews the last Apple Xserve model Apple ever made.

I had the pleasure of checking these out in one of CNN's server rooms when one of my buddies was still on their IT team. They were really cool, but extremely loud. Those fans moved a lot of air.

Found a fantastic Raspberry Pi Tutorial Series from addicted2tech which includes website write up for each topic. Based on Raspberry Pi 4 and OpenMediaVault with a strong emphasis on Security for connections outside of the LAN. Uses an SSD as a boot drive with some external HDDs for storage. All appears to work really well. I'm really impressed by the Pi though I've never used one to date.

OpenMediaVault hosts Portainer to manage the following Dockers ;
  • Nginx Proxy Manager (Reverse Proxy / Load Balancer)
  • Cloudflare (with a Paid Domain name) or DuckDNS (for a free Domain)
  • Home VPN using Wireguard
  • Host your own Nextcloud (cloud storage)
  • Host your own Bitwarden with Vaultwarden (Open-Source Password Manager)
  • Jellyfin or Plex (media servers)
  • and more
Even though all of this has been achieved on a Pi 4, you could easily apply those Dockers and Security setups mentioned above to a desktop based Linux NAS e.g, Linux Server, Expenology DSM, desktop OpenMediaVault server and potentially to the Drobo (if the Drobo allows you to replace it's core OS with a Linux Distro that is ?).
Thanks Robbish. I finally got OpenMediaVault working on my Pi 3 B+, it can be a bit finicky but I haven't had a problem in the past 45 minutes, fingers crossed!. I attached a Seagate 2.5" 500GB HDD and put it inside an enclosure. I think they've run out of Pi 4s and they're selling for bomb on eBay, I'd like to try the Pi zero 2 W but, they've run out of those too.

Screenshot 2023-05-11 at 9.30.06 PM.png

Last edited:
Thanks Robbish. I finally got OpenMediaVault working on my Pi 3 B+, it can be a bit finicky but I haven't had a problem in the past 45 minutes, fingers crossed!. I attached a Seagate 2.5" 500GB HDD and put it inside an enclosure. I think they've run out of Pi 4s and they're selling for bomb on eBay, I'd like to try the Pi zero W 2 but, they've run out of those too.

View attachment 566621

Unfortunately, Pi 4s and Pi Zero 2 Ws have been in short supply for a long time and people are scalping them for extraordinary prices.

If/when the supply issues are resolved, I suggest getting a Pi 4 if you want to use it as a NAS. It's the only Pi with true 1GBase-T. That makes a huge difference. On a Pi 4, transfer rates should be approx 100-110MB/s.

I have a 48TB Dell R720 with 256GB RAM running TrueNAS Scale, as well as a 24TB iSCSI SAN which I use for Virtualization with 3 R620s in a Ha Cluster. Network shares are done via the TrueNAS and a few Shares are Virtualized.

I have a 48TB Dell R720 with 256GB RAM running TrueNAS Scale, as well as a 24TB iSCSI SAN which I use for Virtualization with 3 R620s in a Ha Cluster. Network shares are done via the TrueNAS and a few Shares are Virtualized.

I wish iSCSI were built in to macOS.

Thanks Robbish. I finally got OpenMediaVault working on my Pi 3 B+, it can be a bit finicky but I haven't had a problem in the past 45 minutes, fingers crossed!. I attached a Seagate 2.5" 500GB HDD and put it inside an enclosure. I think they've run out of Pi 4s and they're selling for bomb on eBay, I'd like to try the Pi zero 2 W but, they've run out of those too.

View attachment 566621
Good stuff craighazan, didn't expect you would try this on a P3. If you're running Docker on OMV then make sure to secure your sensitive data with some kind Secrets or Vault cause those video guides (great as they are) do leave your sensitive data e.g., login name, passwords, etc., exposed following the Docker up command IMO.

Back