Contribute
Register

Which NAS do you use with your Hackintosh ?

I have an QNAP 419P 4bay NAS bought in 2010, still running. Only had to replace the power pack a few days ago.

Has anyone here used a Raspberry Pi as a NAS?. I'm looking into building my own for Time Machine and streaming. I've been reading on how to set it up, seems quite simple and straight forward, any words of wisdom to share?.

Found a fantastic Raspberry Pi Tutorial Series from addicted2tech which includes website write up for each topic. Based on Raspberry Pi 4 and OpenMediaVault with a strong emphasis on Security for connections outside of the LAN. Uses an SSD as a boot drive with some external HDDs for storage. All appears to work really well. I'm really impressed by the Pi though I've never used one to date.

OpenMediaVault hosts Portainer to manage the following Dockers ;
  • Nginx Proxy Manager (Reverse Proxy / Load Balancer)
  • Cloudflare (with a Paid Domain name) or DuckDNS (for a free Domain)
  • Home VPN using Wireguard
  • Host your own Nextcloud (cloud storage)
  • Host your own Bitwarden with Vaultwarden (Open-Source Password Manager)
  • Jellyfin or Plex (media servers)
  • and more
Even though all of this has been achieved on a Pi 4, you could easily apply those Dockers and Security setups mentioned above to a desktop based Linux NAS e.g, Linux Server, Expenology DSM, desktop OpenMediaVault server and potentially to the Drobo (if the Drobo allows you to replace it's core OS with a Linux Distro that is ?).

Last edited:
i use Unraid on a custom built PC box with some HDDs and SSD cache. its best buck for the money if you can do some configuration stuff yourself

I don't know about virtual machines, but I know that DSM has built-in support for Dockers.

DSM supports virtual machines but I haven’t tried it. Now I’m going down the Xpenology rabbit hole :lol: so I can have a backup of my stuff at my parents.

Synology DS218+

Running two physical TrueNAS Scale servers but primarily for my infrastructure Cluster consisting of 8 hosts. My OSX client machines (OCLP MM and notebooks, Clover hackintosh workstation), Linux clients are also getting use of it.
Been using FreeNAS(TrueNas) for 10y now, except for an occasional HD loss never lost a bit of data.

I use an Oracle Linux 8 server with OpenZFS and a RaidZ1 (Raid5) of three western red CMR disks (as SMR disks result in problems with ZFS) for my data. I use many LXC containers and some KVM virtual machines on it. Mostly everything is working perfect with my Hackintosh. I also use a secondary server, running on FreeBSD, also with ZFS, mainly for my Time Machine backups through Samba. Sometimes, I just can't browse my Time Machine backups as there is no backup seen in the timeline in right side of the screen. In those cases, I just exit and re-enter Time Machine or run a backup immediately and it becomes ok eventually.

Last edited:
I use a basic openmediavault 6 configuration (intel b360 MB, pentium g5400, 16 GB RAM and a PCI-E sata card).4x2 TB RAID1(time machine and various windows saves)+2TB CCC + SSD 120GB for system), reluctant to use a pi even though it's energy saving. I'm pretty interested in docker abilities.

Once i also made the mistake going the QNAP route, but never again. Those flimsy, tremedously overpriZed, embedded consumer NAS Poxes are.... let's say "you don't get what you're paying for". Not talking about their embedded software ecosystem and lastly the development route they're focusing on. I mean just one example "backup your wire tap (aka mobile phone) on your data grave" WTF? :crazy:
I mean their costumers they're focusing on seem not really have clue about systems like that. Anyway doesn't matter if QNAP, Synology ... // ... IMHO they all share the mentioned above.

What??? What the hell are you rambling about???

What do you mean by "backup your wire tap on your data grave"?

Please decipher.

Back