Contribute
Register

Which NAS do you use with your Hackintosh ?

@Robbish,

That's a great question!

At the office where the data storage is used most, we've gone through a handful of NAS & DAS units. The first ever one we had was a QNAP TS-112P NAS. After that we realised faster direct storage so started with a Pegasus R4. Then we went onto Areca 8-bay RAID array with a Drobo 5D with the 5D as a backup of Areca, using HGST drives. This last combo we've been using the same setup for more than 10 years, and have upgraded the drives bit by bit over that time from 8TB then 16TB now 40TB & 36TB (fitted with 2TB HGSTs before now 6TB WD Reds). It was used with our very first Gigabyte Z77X hackintosh and we'd been using it ever since (the same units). The Areca is attached via a SAS card on the back while the Drobo uses a Thunderbolt 1 connection via Thunderbolt 3 adapter. I also have a QNAP TS-563 in the office for shared files, backups and finalised client print documents. As it goes it just so happens I have been upgrading the drives on those this week from 10TB to 20TB (5 x 4TB Toshiba MG08ADAs). The drives were getting a little old (5 years) and I felt they needed replacing, plus I do need the space as our print documents are getting rather big these days (between 500GB to 1GB just for 1 job) and for technical reasons need to keep them on the server for a period of time. I tend to use either Toshiba or WD Red drives in mine for reliability reasons. I used to use Hitachi/HGST until they were sold in parts both to Toshiba and WD. And when I bought the Toshiba replacements for the faulty HGSTs to be replaced, I managed to find the ones that used the same casing & internals from the Ultrastar days (which was actually originally from IBM's Deskstar line-up). So when they went into the Areca using HGSTs for the RAID array they were instantly recognised despite being a different brand.

Also as I have some spare 2TB drives from the replacement, I think I might use them to build a TrueNAS device (for testing/backup reasons). I am currently researching the parts for that and think I may be interested in a Jonsbo N1 NAS case. As I have a spare Core i5 10500 chip from my Z490 hack build, I possibly could use that in the NAS.

Talking of Synology, two of my relatives use Synology devices for backup and say they are very good.

So for those interested, this is how my current QNAP system looks like during an upgrade.

qnap-nas-upgrade.png

Here we can see that after the drives have been added and rebuilt that it is in the stages of synchronizing. Unfortunately it is a manual process you have to enable under the Storage menu.

qnap-nas-upgrade-2b.png

qnap-nas-upgrade-3.png

Due to the RAID 5 formatting, the drives full usable capacity works out at around 14TB and not the expected 20TB as the rest of the space is used for data protection. This is also a similar thing that happens with Drobo drives.

Has anyone here used a Raspberry Pi as a NAS?. I'm looking into building my own for Time Machine and streaming. I've been reading on how to set it up, seems quite simple and straight forward, any words of wisdom to share?.

Has anyone here used a Raspberry Pi as a NAS?. I'm looking into building my own for Time Machine and streaming. I've been reading on how to set it up, seems quite simple and straight forward, any words of wisdom to share?.

I have SMB enabled on my Raspberry Pi server so I can access the 2.5' drive attached to it. But that's very basic...

If you want more features such as RAID and web accessible UI, I suggest looking in to OpenMediaVault. I tested it out and was up and running within about an hour. The only suggestion I have is to use externally powered drive(s) if you plan to use this NAS long term.

I have a Synology DS216e 2- bay with an 8TB+3TB drive in it (11TB total) going close to 10 years of usage. I am also running this directly off a 12v Solar battery controlled gadget for. 24x7x365 online usage.

I use a matching pair of Synology DS414's. Had them for a few years now and find them faultless.
I dream of having a NAS with copy speeds faster that you can count the bytes, but speed is not important for what I use them for.

I've been using Synology for seven years now: a DS216se and a DS918+ without a single problem. Both over DSM7, plenty of features for my usage & very reliable!

Back