GTX 770 2GB
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey!

I am working on an iMac 21,5" and the display is fine. Since I'm preparing a Hackintosh I would like to buy a monitor and connect it to the GTX 770 graphic card by Nvidia.

I was reading on some forums that there are a lot of issues with Mac OS and various monitors, like Dell displays, for example. It seems that you have to force RGB mode (I was reading this thread).

My first choices are P2414H and P2314H by Dell. I am looking for a good monitor for a good price. I need a good display for my editing. I know that I need to spend a lot of money for a decent display, but I read good things on these Dell.

My second choice is the BenQ BL2411PT, there are positive reviews from Mac OS X users. But it's going to cost me a little more and I would like a 16:9 display (I already own a 16:10 LG Flatron W2452V which doesn't look very good compared to my iMac). I am reading about the Benq BL2400PT too.

Regarding the P2314H:

Review by Tim Gonzalez from Amazon.com:

"I wish they would list that this monitor's panel has a BGR sub-pixel layout in the tech specs to let Mac users know this monitor makes OS X looks like garbage. The fuzzy/blurry fonts and general image quality loss of running a BGR display with Mac OS was enough to give me a headache after a few minutes. Getting ready to ship it back and just put in an order for a P2414H instead"

I don't know if the problem is connected to the use of DisplayPort (I can use DVI and HDMI ports on the GTX 770).

Which monitors do you use on your Hackintosh?

I saw an article on one of the Mac sites where a 2013 15" Retina MacBook Pro as connected to a Dell UP2414Q display at full res and 60Hz. The author said he tried first with the 13" MBP, but it would only run at 30Hz refresh - the HD3000 didn't have the "oomph" to run it. He was connected TB port to the mDP on the displaty.

On the strength of that article I ordered one from Amazon.com - http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Computer-UltraSharp-UP2414Q-23-8-Inch/dp/B00HALPPM0/

I am using 2 x Dell U2412M on GTX 760, they are amazing monitors. I think the only downside to the 2414 is they are 1920x1080 instead of 1920x1200. The display controls are amazing, you can customize 2 of the keys and it allows the onscreen controls to be rotated! The extra USB ports are great as well :)
I am using 2 x DVI ports for the monitors so I have no idea about the display port issues.

I am using 2 x Dell U2412M on GTX 760, they are amazing monitors. I think the only downside to the 2414 is they are 1920x1080 instead of 1920x1200. The display controls are amazing, you can customize 2 of the keys and it allows the onscreen controls to be rotated! The extra USB ports are great as well :)
I am using 2 x DVI ports for the monitors so I have no idea about the display port issues.

The one I linked is UP2414Q - resolution is 3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz.

The one I linked is UP2414Q - resolution is 3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz.

The one you linked is more than 3 times the price of the monitor the OP asked about.

My first choices are P2414H and P2314H by Dell. I am looking for a good monitor for a good price.

The UP2414Q is a good monitor but the price is outrageous in comparison to the P2414H. For the same price you could get 3 P2414H monitors.

To answer the OP's question more directly. The P2414H is a good monitor at a good price I would definitely recommend it. But if you can find one a U2412M 16:10 is a better monitor for about the same price and would put your old Flatron 16:10 to shame (I should know these were my last monitors as well). I would not buy a BENQ monitor if it was free. We bought 4 a couple of years ago and 3 had 4+ dead pixels within a year, and one died.

To answer the OP's question more directly. The P2414H is a good monitor at a good price I would definitely recommend it. But if you can find one a U2412M 16:10 is a better monitor for about the same price and would put your old Flatron 16:10 to shame (I should know these were my last monitors as well). I would not buy a BENQ monitor if it was free. We bought 4 a couple of years ago and 3 had 4+ dead pixels within a year, and one died.

U2412M is avalable @ amazoncom US for $251.99
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-24-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B005JN9310

Hey, Going Bald, how did things go with the UP2414Q? I want to buy it but I'm worried about HiDPI not running at 60Hz. I've read that it works with Yosemite + new nVidia web drivers + new MacMini or MacPro system definitions. Could you confirm this?

Won't know for sure until I get the GTX980 I ordered. Supposed to ship sometime first week of November.
In the meantime, I am installing Yosemite for someone else on a GA-Z77-DS3H using onboard HD4000 of the 370K CPU. Once I get it up and going I will connect it and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back