Contribute
Register

which Mobo tray for Mac pro case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the first set up in my build thread, I originally glued the original standoffs in place for the ATX motherboard. It is very easy and you need to make sure you use something like JB Weld or the like to do this. Also you can buy a dead motherboard for super cheap to use as your template to glue the standoffs in place.

I myself will be using the original standoffs on the Pro case and will work the rear IO like Aquamac did on his Pro build. I plan to utilize all of the Mac Pro parts on the inside to keep it as OEM as possible.

eelhead said:
Look at the first set up in my build thread, I originally glued the original standoffs in place for the ATX motherboard. It is very easy and you need to make sure you use something like JB Weld or the like to do this. Also you can buy a dead motherboard for super cheap to use as your template to glue the standoffs in place.

I myself will be using the original standoffs on the Pro case and will work the rear IO like Aquamac did on his Pro build. I plan to utilize all of the Mac Pro parts on the inside to keep it as OEM as possible.

I am trying to keep it as stock looking as possible as well.
I am going to try and move my Seasonic psu into the oem apple psu casing.

I will look into using original standoffs

eelhead, are you referring to the links in your signature or have you got a different build thread for a Mac Pro mod? I just came across this and was reminded that I have a 2006 Mac Pro tucked away in storage. Still works fine but the itch to mod suddenly reared up again! :D It would be nice to add the Mac Pro mod to my G5 and G4 mods :D

I am going to be doing a Mac pro mod at some stage in the not too distant future (bought a new empty case for £100 - so at least I'll know that any scratches on the end product will have been made by me [none made so far]).
The Pro case is a unique challenge and there are some expensive kits out there that although hard to obtain and from China seem to work wonders in keeping things original looking. Just take a look down the threads in this forum and you'll find them.
There are NO motherboard tray kits out there that allow the retention of a 120 fan as per the original fitment. So currently in my view the most cost effective way is mATX and doing the standoff re-positioning and re-gluing as Eel suggests.
When I get around to the Pro case I have it will be with a custom internal tray mapped to the existing mounting points and with the PCI-e cards going to the original Mac Pro slots and with some sort of a finishing plate on the outside to allow a proper mATX IO shield to co-exist with the existing 120 fan and PCI slots. It is not without issues though, as doing it this way inevitably will then cause some sort of compromise with the original hard drive sliders....I'm looking forward to tackling it though!!!
Good luck.

I have not posted anything with the Pro Build yet. I have a 2010 Pro case and once I really get going on it then I will start up a thread.

eelhead, are you referring to the links in your signature or have you got a different build thread for a Mac Pro mod? I just came across this and was reminded that I have a 2006 Mac Pro tucked away in storage. Still works fine but the itch to mod suddenly reared up again! :D It would be nice to add the Mac Pro mod to my G5 and G4 mods :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back