1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. eMac
  3. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I'm looking to upgrade my processor from the stock i3. I was just wondering which ones are known to be supported with ML and without any issues. I'm kinda looking at the 2720qm right now

I believe all Sandybridge core i3/i5/i7 CPU's work fine in the 4530s. Just make sure you stay away from ES (Engineering Sample) and QS (Quality Sample) chips. They may be non standard or have instructions missing. Also, if you put a chip in that is not included in the Probook Installer, you will have to create or modify an SSDT file to work with yours. Im running an i7 2670qm. I get a feeling that the best chips for 99% of us are the mid and upper i5 range. They use less power, make less heat (read quieter fan) than the i7's and hardly anybody needs 4 cores.

Have a look at th comparison on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge#Mobile_platform

I'm looking to upgrade my processor from the stock i3. I was just wondering which ones are known to be supported with ML and without any issues. I'm kinda looking at the 2720qm right now

The ProBook Installer v6 has Sandy Bridge SSDTs all the way up to the i7-2960QM (including the 2720QM), so I think you are good to go with an upgrade.

FWIW, I upgraded my original i3-2310M CPU to a i7-2670QM and basically doubled my Geekbench score (~9650 on the 64-bit test).

-bth

Excellent. Thanks for the help. I went ahead and ordered one and am confident I'll be able to upgrade it (after seeing the success of people here and in some other threads).

FWIW, I upgraded my original i3-2310M CPU to a i7-2670QM and basically doubled my Geekbench score (~9650 on the 64-bit test).

Mine is actually at 5500 or so right now. The addition of faster RAM made over 1000 point difference. Definitely excited to see the difference a new processor will make.

Excellent. Thanks for the help. I went ahead and ordered one and am confident I'll be able to upgrade it (after seeing the success of people here and in some other threads).

If you haven't done so already, download HP's Maintenance and Service Guide (http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/.../c03054480.pdf) because you'll come close to completely disassembling your machine to get to the CPU. It will give you step-by-step instructions on how to get to the processor and remove it.

-bth

Make sure you have a small TORX screwdriver to hand before sitting down to disassemble. The 4530s comes apart very nicely for a laptop. If you haven't taken the keyboard off before, be gentle because it is stuck down with double sided sticky pads and it flexes and bends easily while trying to remove, especially the first time.

Make sure you have a small TORX screwdriver to hand before sitting down to disassemble. The 4530s comes apart very nicely for a laptop. If you haven't taken the keyboard off before, be gentle because it is stuck down with double sided sticky pads and it flexes and bends easily while trying to remove, especially the first time.

Good tip Brummymax - forgot to mention I had to go out and buy a TORX screwdriver. And don't forget the thermal paste for the CPU.

-bth

I believe all Sandybridge core i3/i5/i7 CPU's work fine in the 4530s. Just make sure you stay away from ES (Engineering Sample) and QS (Quality Sample) chips. They may be non standard or have instructions missing. Also, if you put a chip in that is not included in the Probook Installer, you will have to create or modify an SSDT file to work with yours. Im running an i7 2670qm. I get a feeling that the best chips for 99% of us are the mid and upper i5 range. They use less power, make less heat (read quieter fan) than the i7's and hardly anybody needs 4 cores.

Have a look at th comparison on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge#Mobile_platform

what about an ivy bridge one, i3, i5 or i7 3rd generation ?? (i am sorry if i am asking it in an inappropriate place. )

what about an ivy bridge one, i3, i5 or i7 3rd generation ?? (i am sorry if i am asking it in an inappropriate place. )

No, only Sandy Bridge in the 4530s.

The 4530s has an Intel HM65 chipset which supports gen 2 Sandy Bridge processors. The 4540s has an Intel HM76 chipset and this supports both gen 2 and gen 3 (Sandy and Ivy Bridge) CPU's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back