Contribute
Register

Which HDD/SSD for 4x30s laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just done a lot of research on SSDs, and ended up getting the Samsung EVO. It has only one real problem, it isn't compatible with add on data controllers Marvell or j Micron. Since you are on this website, you are virtual guaranteed to be using an Intel Sata controller, so works great. I've been using an 830, and the 840 EVO works great under OSX Mavericks, and it's even on the recommended list.

I have some news about the Kingston V300, Kingston started substituting inferior NAND, and some of the drives are not any better in some ways than a regular HD. I would avoid Kingston for this reason. Another drive I looked at that interested me was the Optima by PNY, it's cheap and didn't have any issues in the Tweektown.com review, but has only been reviewed once. It is very affordable and embarrasses more expensive drives.

If you are looking for speed, go with the Samsung 840 EVO 250 or bigger, the 120 is a little slow.

I have just done a lot of research on SSDs, and ended up getting the Samsung EVO. It has only one real problem, it isn't compatible with add on data controllers Marvell or j Micron. Since you are on this website, you are virtual guaranteed to be using an Intel Sata controller, so works great. I've been using an 830, and the 840 EVO works great under OSX Mavericks, and it's even on the recommended list.

I have some news about the Kingston V300, Kingston started substituting inferior NAND, and some of the drives are not any better in some ways than a regular HD. I would avoid Kingston for this reason. Another drive I looked at that interested me was the Optima by PNY, it's cheap and didn't have any issues in the Tweektown.com review, but has only been reviewed once. It is very affordable and embarrasses more expensive drives.

If you are looking for speed, go with the Samsung 840 EVO 250 or bigger, the 120 is a little slow.

I have a 240GB Kingston V300 installed on my 4530s. It works well till now. I can say it's much better than the original HDD. Startup time is always 7 seconds from Chameleon to Login screen, Illustrator and Xcode performances are boosted greatly.

For those who want a new SSD or HDD, define your budget and pick the best SDD in that range. It's really worth.

I have a 240GB Kingston V300 installed on my 4530s. It works well till now. I can say it's much better than the original HDD. Startup time is always 7 seconds from Chameleon to Login screen, Illustrator and Xcode performances are boosted greatly.

For those who want a new SSD or HDD, define your budget and pick the best SDD in that range. It's really worth.

I'm completely agree with you. Just a question, the TRIM enabler option is disappeared from the PBI? Or is not necessary anymore?

Thanks!

I'm completely agree with you. Just a question, the TRIM enabler option is disappeared from the PBI? Or is not necessary anymore?

Thanks!

If you mean PBI Clover, they're enabled by default.

If you mean PBI Clover, they're enabled by default.

Ok Thanks!

Can we design/create a more descriptive guide of the new PBI CE? To avoid useless and repetitive questions.

Is really what quang4me say in the #15 post? If yes, can we include it in the PBI CE?

Thanks!

Is really what quang4me say in the #15 post? If yes, can we include it in the PBI CE?

Not necessary in PBI CE. Trim enable is done via Clover KextsToPatch section of config.plist.

Not necessary in PBI CE. Trim enable is done via Clover KextsToPatch section of config.plist.

Thanks!

For a more descriptive PBI CE guide, if I can help, just tell me.

Clover seems to be the present/future and chameleon, the past.

Thank you.

For a more descriptive PBI CE guide, if I can help, just tell me.

What specifically do you find lacking in the guide?

Have you migrated to Clover yet?

What specifically do you find lacking in the guide?

Have you migrated to Clover yet?

Yes, I'm using Clover already.
For example that the trim support is enabled by default and this kind of stuff.
A well explained/detailed guide, can avoid repetitive/useless questions form the users.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back