Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Which GPU supports 3 Apple 24" Cinema Display

Hi,

I have to make a new build for a friend who just bought 3 Apple Cinema Displays 24" with Mini Display port only.

I was wondering Which GPU can Handle 3 mini display port screens and also support ( optional) Da Vinci Resolve.

I know only few GPU have mini display port and even then just one Mini DP.

Is there any adaptor to aloud this set up?

Thanks

Hi,

I have to make a new build for a friend who just bought 3 Apple Cinema Displays 24" with Mini Display port only.

I was wondering Which GPU can Handle 3 mini display port screens and also support ( optional) Da Vinci Resolve.

I know only few GPU have mini display port and even then just one Mini DP.

Is there any adaptor to aloud this set up?

Thanks

Currently only an AMD card is going to support 3+ monitors out of the box on a single graphics card. A 6870 is basically your best bet there, given your power needs. As long as you are using a display port on the monitor, I don't think you need to use any special cables or adaptors. You do need active mini-display port to DVI adapters if you are connecting more than two monitors using the DVI ports on the monitors.

Unfortunately, the 7XXX cards which are much more powerful and much better for OpenCL, do not work under OSX and may never work under OSX.

The nVidia 6XX cards (the Kepler based ones at any rate) SHOULD support up to 4 monitors, but the current drivers out for ML only support two. It does look like we should be getting a driver update some time in October, when the Quadro K5000 is released. It's a "Pro" version of the 680, but will cost an arm and a leg and a kidney and a liver... and will still suck at double precision floating point operations (mostly 3D work).

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

I have a Sapphire ATi 6870 but this are the conncetions:

1 Display Port ( not mini DP)
2.HDMI
3. DVI-D
4. DVI-I.

Now The 24" Apple Cinema Display only has MINI DISPLAY PORT connection.

How do I connect 3 Mini Display Port cables to the connections
of the Sapphire 6870 listed before ?

I didn't find any adapter which alloud to connect Mini DP ou tu DVI or DP in or HDMI.

If is not possible on the Sapphire I've also saw that the XFX 6870 has 2 Mini display ports out:

Are the Mini display port on the XFX working OOB?

If I understand I have tu use OSX 10.6.8 ( Lion not available anymore and ML not working for 3 displays right??)

Which settings for the GPU ? GE: ? Chameleon wizard??

thanks in advance.

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

I have a Sapphire ATi 6870 but this are the conncetions:

1 Display Port ( not mini DP)
2.HDMI
3. DVI-D
4. DVI-I.

Now The 24" Apple Cinema Display only has MINI DISPLAY PORT connection.

How do I connect 3 Mini Display Port cables to the connections
of the Sapphire 6870 listed before ?

I didn't find any adapter which alloud to connect Mini DP ou tu DVI or DP in or HDMI.

DP out to mDP - http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DP2MDPMF6IN-DisplayPort-Video-Adapter/dp/B003N3DTKY/ref=pd_cp_e_1/187-6690922-2851436
DVI-D to mDP - http://www.amazon.com/ATLONA-AT-DP400-Dual-DisplayPort-Converter/dp/B003CWEXWO/ref=pd_cp_e_0/187-6690922-2851436
or http://www.amazon.com/Kanex-C247d-Display-24-Inch-27-Inch/dp/B004HW67TK/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348055806&sr=1-15&keywords=single+Link+DVI+to+Mini+DisplayPort+Converter

Hi, and thanks for the help.

Also Due to the high price of all the adaptors: 2x 72 $ + 10$ = 152$ + the 6870 at 150$ = 302 $

my friend decided to buy an Apple GPU Ati RADEON 5770 with 2 Mini DP and 1 DVI for 250$
http://store.apple.com/us/product/M...0-graphics-upgrade-kit-for-mac-pro-(mid-2010)

So my question is.

If I use an ATI RADEON 5770 of the Apple store should I go for the GA Z68 or the Z77 Mobos??

What is the best solution to Run the ATI RADEON 5770 under Mountain Lion?

Thanks for the help

If you want to run SL 10.6.x the go for the 6 series boards. If you want to run 10.7.x or 10.8.x go for the 7 series boards.

Hi, I don't understard.
Ggorge Said that the 7 series doesn't work under OSX and will never do.

Does the 7 series works onder OSX.

I alse need to connect 3 Apple cinema Displays with Mini DP connections.

That's why I was wondering to use an apple Ati Radeon 5770 with native Mini DP output.

So.

Which GPU should I use to get Mountain Lion and 3 Apple Cinema Displays with mini DP??

thanks

Hi, I don't understard.
Ggorge Said that the 7 series doesn't work under OSX and will never do.

Does the 7 series works onder OSX.

I alse need to connect 3 Apple cinema Displays with Mini DP connections.

That's why I was wondering to use an apple Ati Radeon 5770 with native Mini DP output.

So.

Which GPU should I use to get Mountain Lion and 3 Apple Cinema Displays with mini DP??

thanks

I believe he meant a 67XX not a 7XXX card.

Also I said the 7XXX cards MIGHT NOT ever work, but who knows for certain? It's not inconceivable that AMD might actually come out with OSX drivers on their own.

There are Radeon 6870 cards with mini display ports built in... I just bought one on ebay. And it looks like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150521

I think you should look for the 2 GB variant of this card if you're running more than 1 giant monitor. These cards are getting a little old so look around for a good price. Still powerful though... so I'm told. Haven't tried mine yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back