4. iBook
  5. iMac
  6. Power Mac
  7. PowerBook
  8. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Hi all... finally decided it's time to move on from my i5-750/p55/GTX660 setup. It's been bulletproof, but is definitely now showing its age.

Debating between i7-10700 or i9-10900/z490 or Rocket Lake. Big issue is GPU - i understand the 660 is no good for Big Sur, so was hoping to use the igpu until prices and supply normalise. I don't really game, so this isn't a big concern, but the system does serve as my AV hub so connectivity is important.

Any thoughts from the community would be most welcome!

Z490 / intel 10th gen is probably going to be the best choice since it’s the newest gen of intel cpus that are actually supported in real macs. I would go with this unless you plan on using Mojave which is hard to get working on z490 systems. If you need mojave look at a z390/9th Gen intel.

i just finished my “final Hackintosh” and decided z490/10900 is best for me going forward.

I totally agree, Comet Lake 10th gen is the best platform we have for now. I have a Z490 Aorus Xtreme running on High Sierra and Big Sur with Pascal GTX1060 (build in my signature below). Mojave and Catalina also works with my build. VDA decoding and 3D also works if you have a dGPU.

i just finished my “final Hackintosh” and decided z490/10900 is best for me going forward.
Hi, do you mind saying how much it cost? Intrested in comparing to M1 mac mini

Hi, do you mind saying how much it cost? Intrested in comparing to M1 mac mini
It’s impossible to say the exact cost sorry, a lot of parts are from my old z97 build and a lot of parts aren’t even available anymore. Even then I went completely OTT on this build out of pure enjoyment since it’s the last pc I’m likely to build ever.

If you are not using windows then there is no comparison - M1 mac slays in almost all categories.

Im a total nerd that loves to just tinker with my hardware and try weird Linux distros for fun so an x86 system is perfect for me. Also windows gaming is important for me. Otherwise it’s hard to justify a Hackintosh right now

Last edited:
M1 mac slays in almost all categories.
For me, the biggest drawback is the limited graphics options. eGPU has been removed from use with M1 macs. The second biggest is the cap at 16GB of ram. Apple has done this intentionally so that Pro users will buy their more expensive offerings that will have better graphics and more than 16GB options.

Z490 / intel 10th gen is probably going to be the best choice since it’s the newest gen of intel cpus that are actually supported in real macs
You know, I was thinking about this thing (the last intel that would support a hackintosh), wouldn’t it be the tiger lake i3s? Granted it’s a laptop chip so outside something like a NUC/mini PC you will only find it in a laptop, but these i3s still have intel UHD graphics (and not the newer Xe). I tried searching but can’t find anybody reporting a success (or even a failure) with these, though logically there is no reason they shouldn’t work.

You know, I was thinking about this thing (the last intel that would support a hackintosh), wouldn’t it be the tiger lake i3s? Granted it’s a laptop chip so outside something like a NUC/mini PC you will only find it in a laptop, but these i3s still have intel UHD graphics (and not the newer Xe). I tried searching but can’t find anybody reporting a success (or even a failure) with these, though logically there is no reason they shouldn’t work.
There is no igpu support for 11th Gen in Hackintosh. There is a thread where people are testing z590/11gen cpu with a few hiccups. Until Apple actually release 11th Gen we’d just be speculating.

There is no igpu support for 11th Gen in Hackintosh. There is a thread where people are testing z590/11gen cpu with a few hiccups. Until Apple actually release 11th Gen we’d just be speculating.
That is interesting (and a little disappointing). But just to clarify, aren’t all desktop 11th gen chips Rocket lake (the “10nm ported to 14nm”) with Xe graphics, while laptop/mobile chips are tiger lake (true 10nm) have Intel HD graphics on the i3s? It is not surprising that Xe is not supported but I thought that as Intel HD has worked fine till Comet Lake, it should still work for Tiger Lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back