Contribute
Register

Which card for 3d modeling and sculpting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme
CPU
Intel i7 3930k
Graphics
Zotac GTX 680 4GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello mates. I am a 3d modeler and working in Autodesk Maya, Autodesk Mudbox and Pixologic Zbrush software. Using a hackintosh system right now with mountain lion 10.8.2 installed. I wonder which graphichs card is good for 3d modeling , sculpting and rendering on my hacosx? It doesnt have to be very strong , most important thing is stability. Second one is viewport performance. It has to handle millions of polygons in mayas viewport or when using zbrush. Cause in zbrush or mudbox i am always working at min. 3 million polygons. Thanks.

Hello mates. I am a 3d modeler and working in Autodesk Maya, Autodesk Mudbox and Pixologic Zbrush software. Using a hackintosh system right now with mountain lion 10.8.2 installed. I wonder which graphics card is good for 3d modeling , sculpting and rendering on my hacosx? It doesn't have to be very strong , most important thing is stability. Second one is viewport performance. It has to handle millions of polygons in mayas viewport or when using zbrush. Cause in zbrush or mudbox i am always working at min. 3 million polygons. Thanks.

I also use my hack for 3d work, mainly because it dumps memory allot better than windows and have the adobe suite.

You should always look at Cuda enabled cards, Nvidia.
Your 590 should work more than fine.
I have 570 GTX on 7.3
Works flawless in Vray, Maya, Modo, Zbrush, Photoshop, Adobe CS6, Realflow, Nuke, Avid.

I believe full native support was enabled recently for 10.8.

So within a couple of months there should be allot of results posted here.

I was actually just about to ask the same thing.
I use a lot of Photoshop/Dreamweaver as well as a heavy dose of Cinema 4D with Vray.
I was hoping to take advantage of using a GPU render solution. However, I am not sure my XFX 6870 is up to the task.
I saw that Nvidia just added native CUDA support for 10.8.2. Thus being a pretty big selling point on their cards.
Kind of looking for one that isn't expensive, and will do the job. Hoping for OOB (all ports working, full QE/CI).

Hello mates. I am a 3d modeler and working in Autodesk Maya, Autodesk Mudbox and Pixologic Zbrush software. Using a hackintosh system right now with mountain lion 10.8.2 installed. I wonder which graphichs card is good for 3d modeling , sculpting and rendering on my hacosx? It doesnt have to be very strong , most important thing is stability. Second one is viewport performance. It has to handle millions of polygons in mayas viewport or when using zbrush. Cause in zbrush or mudbox i am always working at min. 3 million polygons. Thanks.

I currently am using a PNY XLR8 9800 GT graphics card and would like to upgrade as well; looking for a card that will work with Maya/ZBrush. Which card did you end up getting and how is it holding up?

Thanks,

Bruno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back