Contribute
Register

Which AMD Radeon HD 6870/Tri monitors on Gigabyte 6850?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99-UD4
CPU
i7-5820k
Graphics
R9-290X
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys!

I currently have a Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 6850, and it's working great with dual displays!

I've been looking into a tri-display setup. As you know, the Gigabyte 6850 isn't currently capable of this. I've heard of a few people getting tri-display setups in Lion with a 6870 card.

My questions are:

1) What brand of 6870 will support three monitors?

2) Will the card be properly recognized in the About this Mac menu?

3) Will Chimera take care of the frame buffers for me?

I've read the Chimera blog post that there are some 6870's added in the list, but will they support three monitors with the frame buffer loaded from Chimera?

Thanks guys!

Re: Which AMD Radeon HD 6870?

All brands are supported. And the 2nd question is very annoying... (Who cares about it? In Windows my HD5750 recognized as 5700 Series, so...) but Yes, it will. 50% is the chance that would show 6xxx and 50% chance to 6870. :lol: And... it can be you in certaion situation that you have to edit the framebuffers. In the Graphics section theres a pair of topics about HD6870 and about the issues.

And if you want 3 monitors, you have to use 1xDVI and 2xDP.

Thanks for replying!

The second question is just a pet peeve of mine I guess. I like things to look as they would on a real Mac. I'd much rather look at 6870 than 6xxx. It's more of a personal preference. Also, having to use 2x DP really wouldn't bother me, as I'm already using one on the 6850.

If anyone knows of a 6870 that would be properly recognized, please let me know!

Thanks guys!

50% is the chance that would show 6xxx and 50% chance to 6870.

LOL! Yes 50/50% ....

GraphicsEnabler = Yes (50% - will show as 6870)
GraphicsEnabler = No (50% - will show as 6xxx)

6870card.png

Works OOB, no other editing needed. Everything works.

Attachments

• 6870card.png
    6870card.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 913

Hey powerpcg5, I see that you're using the XFX brand. Is this the same one as yours?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150521

Also, will it support 3 monitors? That card has 2xDVI, 1x HDMI, and 2x MDP. Would three monitors work with 1xDVI and both MDP?

Thanks for the help guys!

powerpcg5 said:
50% is the chance that would show 6xxx and 50% chance to 6870.

LOL! Yes 50/50% ....

GraphicsEnabler = Yes (50% - will show as 6870)
GraphicsEnabler = No (50% - will show as 6xxx)

6870card.png

Works OOB, no other editing needed. Everything works.

You killed the joke... :lol:

Yup, that's the one. HD-687A-ZDFC

Also, will it support 3 monitors? That card has 2xDVI, 1x HDMI, and 2x MDP. Would three monitors work with 1xDVI and both MDP?
Yes, both DP port works. Use 1X DVI (top one) and both DP ports.
(I don't have 3 monitors, but I've switched monitors to test and both DP port works.)

cpukid said:
Hey powerpcg5, I see that you're using the XFX brand. Is this the same one as yours?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150521

Thanks for the help guys!

Any HD6870 will work... But why I have to tell it twice? :rolleyes:

powerpcg5 said:
Yup, that's the one. HD-687A-ZDFC

Yes, both DP port works. Use 1X DVI (top one) and both DP ports.
(I don't have 3 monitors, but I've switched monitors to test and both DP port works.)

Great! I know you said both work, but since both work, would there be an issue using a DVI and both DP at the same time? On the 6850, I'd have weird issues where as soon as I'd plug something into a third port, the other would go black. This is probably due to the other DVI and HDMI not working at all, but I just want to be sure.

I'm glad to hear that this card works completely (opening DVD player, full QE, etc)

I just want to be sure that all three ports will work at the same time. I don't want to have to return it, lol.

cpukid said:
Hey guys!

I currently have a Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 6850, and it's working great with dual displays!

I've been looking into a tri-display setup. As you know, the Gigabyte 6850 isn't currently capable of this. I've heard of a few people getting tri-display setups in Lion with a 6870 card.

Unless you're adamant about upgrading to a 6870, you might be able to get your current 6850 running three displays. Mine does, at any rate. HDMI, DisplayPort and DVI:

cSzOY.png

Power Color Radeon HD 6850

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back