Contribute
Register

Which 7th Gen Kaby Lake motherboards are guaranteed to be compatible with OSX in 6 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Intel NUC 5i3RYH + Clover
CPU
i3-5010U/NUC motherboard?
Graphics
Intel HD 5500, 2560x1440
In 6 months Apple will release computers with Kaby Lake components and OSX will become fully compatible with Kaby Lake. At that point, we can build Kaby Lake Hackintoshes that are fully compatible with OSX. I understand that Kaby Lake components are currently not fully compatible with OSX because Apple hasn’t released any computers with Kaby Lake equipment as of April 2017.

My question: Which Kaby Lake motherboards are guaranteed to be fully compatible with OSX in 6 months when Apple develops OSX for Kaby Lake equipment?

I need a desktop now, so I figure I will build a Hackintosh compatible computer and install Windows on it for the first 6 months until the new OSX is released. I just need to make sure the motherboard I buy will be guaranteed to work with OSX. I am interested in buying a Kaby Lake motherboard and CPU to take advantage of the new Optane memory. I am interested in finding a motherboard that is relatively standard to set up with Hackintosh.

My needs: Dual monitors, one HDMI and one DisplayPort, Overwatch gaming.

No one can guarantee what will or won't be supported in the future. That being said, if you choose an Asus or Gigabyte motherboard with Realtek audio and an Intel or Realtek LAN chip there is a very good chance it will be fully functional.
Look at the current Buyer's Guide for similar Z and H170 models that are supported now to get some ideas. Many have already reported success with Kaby Lake systems and Sierra. So it's not a huge risk to go with Kaby Lake now.

@trs96 Great, thanks for the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back