Contribute
Register

Which 27" monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woah lots of good info here.

I would love to go out and buy an Apple Cinema screen, but the pricepoint on those things is just way too high. They look great sure, but I can't justify spending that much on just a monitor.

Still unsure on what monitor to go with. The new LG IPS 27" screen that was mentioned earlier does look pretty killer.

Decisions, Decisions......

Thanks for the input though everyone!

who needs to make adjustments on an already calibrated display?
:lol:
You and I obviously have different definitions of "calibrated". I always calibrate and profile my screens, and the profiles for each Cinema Display I've used have all been slightly different. Even before profiling I can see that they're (very slightly) different. And the 20" ACD I'm using at the moment (woohoo! pre-gloss! :)) was way off before profiling, but is great now.

I'm sure "average users" might not notice, but then they're not fussed by the gloss either, and as someone who uses the displays to work on photographs almost every day I'm sure I'm "tuned" to the issue a bit more than Joe Average.
I'm not saying the ACD's aren't high quality. They are. But it's within limits.

Incidentally, some of our ACDs are mounted on VESA arms and are thus swivelable. The VESA mount is an option from Apple for these and for the iMacs.

Woah lots of good info here.

I would love to go out and buy an Apple Cinema screen, but the pricepoint on those things is just way too high. They look great sure, but I can't justify spending that much on just a monitor.

Still unsure on what monitor to go with. The new LG IPS 27" screen that was mentioned earlier does look pretty killer.

Decisions, Decisions......

Thanks for the input though everyone!

I've got the Auria EQ278W from Microcenter. It's based on the same 27" LG IPS panel and I think it's quite a bargain at $399 for 2560 x1440 resolution. I'm driving it through the Thunderbolt/mini-DisplayPort on a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH motherboard.

-bth

Just to be clear: LG initially marketed the screen as having only 2 mm bezel, and marketing images showed the picture going all the way to the edge. This is not true. The bezel may be 2 mm, but the picture starts about 10 mm in from the edge, just like every other LCD screen (except they usually have plastic bezels covering it). LG has corrected this by now.

For the update, I bought the Dell U2713HM last month. Dell's offered a 40% sale on its French retail price and it was just irresistible. My display, though, wasn't worth more than 450€: it shows a lot of bleeding in the left bottom corner, and the IPS glow is quite annoying in dark scenes (search Youtube if you don't know what I mean). As I own a nice plasma for movies and this 27" fits my other needs (desktop publishing and video games), I decided to keep it, but I'm not over enthusiast about it.

I am planning on building my first Hackintosh. I want to get the 27 inch Apple Cinema Display.
So far I have decided to go with the following build which is straight from the CustoMac buying guide:

Intel Core i7-3770K
GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
16GB Corsair 1600MHZ DDR3

What would you recommend for the graphics card? I would like to get the camera and sound to work.

Maby your got a bad production model. I have the Dell U2711 and I must say it´s the best monitor I ever had.
The picture is sharp and colorful and no bleeding at all. Sure the IPS glow it there but every LCD-LED screen has that.
I realy recommend this monitor for every one how is looking for an high quality monitor for a good price.

I am planning on building my first Hackintosh. I want to get the 27 inch Apple Cinema Display.
So far I have decided to go with the following build which is straight from the CustoMac buying guide:

Intel Core i7-3770K
GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
16GB Corsair 1600MHZ DDR3

What would you recommend for the graphics card? I would like to get the camera and sound to work.

The Cinema Display will have a few connectors at the end of its cable: a MagSafe power connector to charge a laptop (just leave that free), a USB cable, and a mini-DisplayPort. Connect the USB cable to a USB2 port, and the mini-DisplayPort cable into the motherboard's MDP2 port, and you should be good to go. The onboard HD 4000 graphics will drive that monitor just fine.

If you want to use a dedicated GPU card (e.g. you're going to do 3D gaming) you can add one later (preferably one with a miniDisplayPort) but to start with the motherboard should have everything you need.

You need to connect the USB cable for the USB ports on the back of the monitor to work, as well as the built-in camera and microphone (and the ability to control the brightness of the display).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back