Contribute
Register

Where to install kexts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I 100% agree.

I stated the reasons why I recommended what I did for my particular build. It is a fact that some kexts cannot be injected. If you plan to go with the all kext in others approach, make sure you validate that all your kexts can be injected.

For newer systems, this is not an issue but may very well break older systems relying on non-injectable kexts. That being said, Lilu and its cohorts seem to be doing a good job of replacing everything so you should be ok.
it's all trial and error, whatever works best for you as the user

i do advocate to install /L/E on laptops but again, they need a little more tender loving attention so to speak :)

could you put kexts in both places. copy extensions paste them in EIF other

could you put kexts in both places. copy extensions paste them in EIF other

used kext beast, every thing works fine. ATI 7074 HDMI Video, even my Bose 123 sound. booting UEIF. low video res, no sound

I've reached out to the WEG developers and researched a few things. As a result, I redid my piece on kext installation location recommendations and am posting here.

The biggest take away here is that I think people believe I was recommending this for everyone, which is not the case, just my particular guide, although builds with the same parameters could certainly benefit.

I appreciate the freedom I've been given to have this opinion and am not looking to stir the pot. What I am hoping is that this will clarify my position and stop some of the unfortunate "events" that have occurred lately.

Lilu & WhatEverGreen (WEG) have drastically changed Hacintoshing by eliminating many kexts, some of which may not have been injectable.

The arguments put forth apply ONLY to this guide. Some systems may require custom or un-injectable kexts so the following may not apply.
  1. Lilu & WhatEverGreen (WEG) must be loaded before OSX for it to properly load its plug-ins. WEG developers instruct users to install WEG in EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other
  2. Lilu plug-Ins make up the majority of the plug-ins we need.
  3. FakeSMC is a critical kext that must be injected (meaning loaded before OSX) and should be in /Others.
  4. That leaves 4 kexts and the SMC sensors that could live in /Library/Extensions. They can all be injected and work perfectly well.
  5. Clover Configurator’s Kext installer is a great maintenance tool. It tracks all the kexts mentioned so far, except for 3 networking ones, and installs them in /Other BY DEFAULT, which implies that’s where they should go
  6. Rehabman, the developer of the remaining 3 networking kexts in question, states that his 3 kexts can be injected. In fact, the BrcmFirmwareData.kext is designed to be injected.
  7. Keeping OSX free of Hackintosh kexts lets you enable SIP mode and run as securely as an OEM Mac
  8. Apple recommends that 3rd party kexts be installed in /Library/Extensions. That is certainly true, but that’s for officially sanctioned, developed, and signed kexts, which ours are not.
  9. OSX cannot manage kexts critical to booting
  10. Putting everything in one shareable EFI folder vastly simplifies installation
  11. Putting everything in the /Other folder eliminates the need for kext installation and permission repair tools
  12. Pastrychef, who has helped hundreds of people, stated that moving kexts to /library/extensions has never helped solve one single issue he has come across. See what people think in his poll

Summary: WEG developers are unanimous in their position that kexts should be installed in /Other and rehab man says it’s fine to inject them. Putting them in /Other simplifies maintenance and enables SIP.

Conclusion: If you do not require non-injectable kexts, there are several advantages to putting everything in the /Other folder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back