Contribute
Register

Where to get a Mojave download and best GPU at a reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Radeon Pro WX 9100
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, I’m new to the forum, but need some help. My question is where can get a download of Mojave because I can not get it from Apple. I have a MacBook Pro laptop that I purchased in mid 2010 and unfortunately can not download Mojave from the Apple app store (due to its age, but still running very strong). This leaves me only 3 options in order of importance: 1) build a Hackintosh, 2) buy a new iMac, or go Windows. Option 1 appeals to me the best. I have a download of El Capitan on the hard drive and am currently running macOS High Sierra v10.13.6. Is it possible to build an El Capitan and upgrade to Mojave?

For my CustoMac Pro Hackintosh build I am considering the following components.
PSU: CORSAIRr RM850x
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
Cooling Fan: Noctua NH-D15
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
SSID: Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB Internal SSD - M.2 2280
GPU: ?

The only GPU suggested in the Buyer’s Guide for the CustoMac pro is the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB available on Amazon; Newegg is out of stock.
Are there any other suggestions to what other GPU’s will work with this build within the $250-$400 price range. Eventually I will add a second HD 4K monitor, possibly a 3rd.

Any help, suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Is it possible to build an El Capitan and upgrade to Mojave ?
We don't allow forum members to get Mojave from anywhere but direct from Apple. Install El Capitan first on some older hardware like Ivy Bridge Z77 or Haswell, then with an iMac 14,2 sysdef you can upgrade it to Mojave. Make sure to upgrade the version of Clover before upgrading to Mojave on the El Cap install. Easiest way is to just borrow someone's 2012 or newer Mac mini, iMac or Mac Pro and make the Mojave installer on that.

The AMD Vega 56 is the next level up for graphics.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078DZR5YK/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
Note that you'll likely have to control fan speeds with 3rd party software so research that before buying.

If you want to spend less there are some RX570s with 8GB of Vram that can run 3x 4K monitors quite well. They have 3 DP outputs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back