1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am currently running 10.9.4 and it's time to upgrade. I have found a copy of the Install macOS Sierra.app on an iMac that we have (it's currently running 10.13.6 and may not be able to go any further). With no other indicators than the file name, I assume that it is 10.12.0. Anyway, I have tried to move this file to my Hackintosh, but have not been successful. I cannot copy it to a USB device even though the capacity is 3x the file size. I tried to send it by E-mail (using the facility that puts the file up to iCloud) and that didn't work. I checked the permissions and system is Read & Write and everyone is Read. All this leads me to believe that once the file is downloaded to a given machine, Apple intends that you can't move it anywhere. True or not?

So, I've searched for a 10.12.0 app file, and have only found update files (.2, .3, etc.). Evidently you can't use them unless you have previously installed the .0 version. I've also run across dmg and iso files, but Unibeast is only looking for an app file I believe.

Finally, as my system is defined as MacPro3,1, the App Store won't let me download Catalina.

So, what should I try next?

Last edited:
As I recall, Unibeast won't work on an App Store download that's been transferred. Why not just use that Mac to make the USB?

It’s sort of a moot point as I can transfer the file anyway.

Right now the iMac is running High Sierra, but I cant find a file on it left over from the last upgrade. Also, I cant load up Catalina as it is beyond the capabilities of the iMac.

Are you suggesting using Install macOS Sierra.app on the iMac to create the USB for the Hackintosh? Will that cause any problems for the iMac? My wife uses that machine and if I messed something up, it would be very ugly...

Yes, Ive been to that page and tried using update files, but it didn’t work. I tried it with a downloaded update of El Capitan and when it got to the Select OS Installation screen in Unibeast, the choices were greyed and I couldn’t get them to be live. I was using the OSXUupd10.11.1.dmg file downloaded from that page...

Are you suggesting using Install macOS Sierra.app on the iMac to create the USB for the Hackintosh?

Yes. Unibeast only modifies the USB. It's easy as pie.

Odd. I thought I had uploaded the image of my Kernel Panic, but I guess not.

Anyway, I generated the USB drive on our iMac (Install macOS Sierra.app) and added Multibeast. I took it over to the Hackintosh and started it. Clover fired up and presented the correct choices, however when I choose the USB as the boot device, the result is the Kernel Panic that is captured in the image below. If I choose the internal drive, it goes to the grey/white Apple screen and the spinner goes forever. I've let it run for at least 30 minutes before restarting the machine. However, I can get it to boot off the internal drive if I click the button that exits Clover. I've been through a number of posts here about Kernel Panics and the suggestions that frequently come up are:
  • USB 2.0 Port - I remember this from when I built the machine, so that's done
  • VT -d - Set from the original build
  • nv_disable=1 - Set from the original build and shows up in the image
I tried going into Verbose, but the result looks very similar to the image below. However, if needed, I can do that again and post the image.

So, the question is what to do next...

Kernel Panic.jpeg

try adding boot-args -v npci=0x2000
if that does not work try adding -v npci=0x3000 instead

Did you add the kexts required for your hardware into Clover/Kexts/Other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back