Contribute
Register

Where do you place your hackintosh kexts?

Where are your hackintosh kexts loaded and have you had problems?

• /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ with no problems

Votes: 70 56.5%
  • /Library/Extensions/ with no problems

Votes: 32 25.8%
  • Both with no problems

Votes: 16 12.9%
  • /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ with some problems

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • /Library/Extensions/ with some problems

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Both with some problems

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
if you have multiple versions of macOS installed on your system, then yes, by all means, use 10.x etc

otherwise remove them all and just have a folder called other to put your kexts in

It's ok to install kexts to both kexts/other and kexts/10.x. Mixing kexts/other or kexts/10.x with /library/extensions causes problems. But ideally. /kexts/other should only be for updating and installing. So really all one would typically need is fakesmc. I have fakesmc, lilu, applcealc, and whatever green in kexts/10.x. I also keep a copy of fakesmc in /other for updating and recovery.

It's ok to install kexts to both kexts/other and kexts/10.x. Mixing kexts/other or kexts/10.x with /library/extensions causes problems. But ideally. /kexts/other should only be for updating and installing. So really all one would typically need is fakesmc. I have fakesmc, lilu, applcealc, and whatever green in kexts/10.x. I also keep a copy of fakesmc in /other for updating and recovery.
You shouldn't have a copy of FakeSMC in Other and 10.x folder as it get's loaded twice then. You can control that in a boot log from Clover or DPCI Manager. One copy of FakeSMC in Other is enough. And you're save for updates too.

Roughly about two years ago, I decided to install my hackintosh kexts in Efi/Clover..../Other. Maybe it was because I was an early adopter of X99, and the whole thing of put some kexts here and some kexts there was really, really not working for me. Since then, it's been Efi/Clover....Other and I haven't looked back.

Sorry, guys who want/insist that kexts should be in L/E, but my system(s) have been far more stable since I made that decision. The difference is massive. I have no issues with upgrades, no issues with kexts not loading, and the system runs all of my software extremely well. It's just been so much better, I really don't get why I would ever go back to the old L/E method.

Last edited:
Interesting comments. I, too, have had no problems where I put my kexts. However, since I use UniBeast and MultiBeast, I've got all but FakeSMC in the /L/E/ folder; only the FakeSMC is in the .../other/ folder which is where the current versions of MultiBeast put it. Hmmmm, interesting discussion.

Interesting comments. I, too, have had no problems where I put my kexts. However, since I use UniBeast and MultiBeast, I've got all but FakeSMC in the /L/E/ folder; only the FakeSMC is in the .../other/ folder which is where the current versions of MultiBeast put it. Hmmmm, interesting discussion.
if you have all kexts apart from FakeSMC in /L/E, then the kexts in /L/E won't get used so to speak?

If you have config.plist -> InjectKexts set to Detect, then Clover will "detect" FakeSMC.kext in /L/E and then load the kexts from there. If it doesn't see FakeSMC, then it will inject the kexts from Clover/kexts/other (as i assume that is how it works?).

If you have config.plist -> InjectKexts set to Detect, then Clover will "detect" FakeSMC.kext in /L/E and then load the kexts from there. If it doesn't see FakeSMC, then it will inject the kexts from Clover/kexts/other (as i assume that is how it works?).
Yep. I have InjectKexts set to Detect in the config.plist that MultiBeast created.

Yep. I have InjectKexts set to Detect in the config.plist that MultiBeast created.
so that means your kexts that are in /L/E won't get used... do you have the same kexts in clover/kexts/other as you do in /L/E (apart from FakeSMC?)

so that means your kexts that are in /L/E won't get used... do you have the same kexts in clover/kexts/other as you do in /L/E (apart from FakeSMC?)
Interesting. I just checked About This Mac > System Report > Extensions. The good news is that all the hackintosh (recognizable) kexts are loaded. But several of the kexts in /L/E/ folder are not.

So, I looked on my 2017 MBP, and the same non hackintosh are shown are not loaded. Wonder why? (I am not knowledgeable enough about the inner workings of macOS to discover the reasons.) Thus, I'm assuming if they aren't loaded, as listed in both my MBP and MyHeroII hackintosh, then these kexts are not necessary for MyHeroII's SysDef of iMac18,3 nor my MBP14,3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back