Contribute
Register

Where do you place your hackintosh kexts?

Where are your hackintosh kexts loaded and have you had problems?

• /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ with no problems

Votes: 70 56.5%
  • /Library/Extensions/ with no problems

Votes: 32 25.8%
  • Both with no problems

Votes: 16 12.9%
  • /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ with some problems

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • /Library/Extensions/ with some problems

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Both with some problems

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Mac Studio - Mac13,1
CPU
M1 Max
Graphics
32 Core
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is not a debate on where kexts should be placed. It's just a poll to see where users are installing their kexts.

How about changing this to where are your kexts loaded and have you had issues with loading those kexts?

I have the following in /Library/Extensions/ with no loading issues:

AHCI_Intel_Generic_SATA.kext
FakeSMC.kext (also in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ )
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
realtekALC.kext

So I'm curious if using /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ is creating issues that isn't seen when using /Library/Extensions/.

How about changing this to where are your kexts loaded and have you had issues with loading those kexts?

IntelMausiEthernet.kext
realtekALC.kext

So I'm curious if using /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ is creating issues that isn't seen when using /Library/Extensions/.

Done.

IntelMausiEthernet.kext
realtekALC.kext

If I try loading IntelMausiEthernet.kext & realtekALC.kext
from the /L/E, it just doesn't work.
clover/Kext/others on the contrary works 100%.
High Sierra 10.13.6

It's been about 1.25 years since I put together my Z370 build. Since day 1, I have placed all my hackintosh kexts in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. I've updated to every macOS revision within hours of release and have never had any issues. I've recorded over 6 weeks of continuous uptime.

On my Z370 build thread (link is below in my signature), through over 550 pages, I've managed to help a fair number others users with all manner of issues/problems. Not once has the solution to any issue/problem been to move kexts to /Library/Extensions/.

Updating kexts has been a breeze. Download new versions and replace old ones. Done. I've never had to update any kext cache. I've never had to use any kext installers. "kextstat" in Terminal has never shown any kext fail to load. (I've also used Clover Configurator to update kexts which makes things even easier.)

Again, I'm not debating on where's the correct location for hackintosh kexts, just sharing my experiences with using /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.

Last edited:
Actually, most of these are wrong... You should be putting your kexts in efi/clover/kexts/10.x. You should only put fakesmc in efi/clover/kexts/other which is only for updating, installing and recovery. All of the other kexts should go to efi/clover/kexts/10.x and anything hardware related should go to /library/extensions.

Post 7 negates post 1. Post 7 rebukes theories and suggestions in post 1. Post 7 cancels out post 1. Return to post 7. Having said that. There is never any mention of kexts being installed to efi/clover/kexts/10.x

Last edited:
Post 7 negates post 1. Post 7 rebukes theories and suggestions in post 1. Post 7 cancels out post 1. Return to post 7. Having said that. There is never any mention of kexts being installed to efi/clover/kexts/10.x
if you have multiple versions of macOS installed on your system, then yes, by all means, use 10.x etc

otherwise remove them all and just have a folder called other to put your kexts in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back