Contribute
Register

Where do you place your hackintosh kexts?

Where are your hackintosh kexts loaded and have you had problems?

• /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ with no problems

Votes: 70 56.5%
  • /Library/Extensions/ with no problems

Votes: 32 25.8%
  • Both with no problems

Votes: 16 12.9%
  • /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ with some problems

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • /Library/Extensions/ with some problems

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Both with some problems

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The key takeaway here is:
What it comes down to is that everyone has to make their own decision, test it out and see how it works for them. I've got nothing against placing essential kexts in the other folder. I've got them all in there too. I don't place all of my kexts in "other" and inject them via Clover. It's another viable way to go though. In my situation I prefer to install most of my kexts to the /Library/Extensions folder and that has worked the best for me. There is more than one way to hack a PC as the old saying goes.

What's the best way to do the kext installation?

kextbeast?
kextupdater?
Clover Config?
Terminal?
Other?

Seems like there are like 8 different ways to do it - what's the latest best recommendation for Mojave?

Kext Utility for System Kexts.

Kexts as we currently know it, will be depreciated in future versions of macOS. Please see here for more info.

Here's what Download-Fritz, one of the OpenCore developers and member of the acidanthera team, had to say about kexts for macOS beyond Catalina.

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 2.17.18 AM.png

After years of debate, I think the argument is over in regards to whether hackintosh kexts should be injected via bootloader. Soon, /Library/Extensions/ won't even be an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back