Contribute
Register

Where do I go from here? Confusion Regarding Optimizations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H170-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.1) (Bios: F22a) (Clover UEFI)
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey everyone, so I just finished my installation of Sierra 10.12.1, and it worked perfectly, with no major hiccups.

However, now I'm at the point where I want to start configuring OSX and optimizing certain features appropriately (skylake graphics issue, ethernet issue etc etc.), and I am completely and utterly lost.

I have read through countless threads and spent numerous hours searching and I just can't figure out what to do. I've read through the Unibeast-install-macos-sierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc troubleshooting and optimizations section, and although I understand what the different optimizations achieve, I don't understand how I can make it happen.

I have downloaded Clover Configurator, EFI Mounter, MaciASL, and PlistEdit Pro, but I have basically no clue how to use any of them, or when to use which one.

Say for instance I want to use the below DSDT patch to fix the skylake HD 530 graphics issues:

Code:
# inject "hda-gfx"="onboard-1" into IGPU (GFX0 originally)
into device label GFX0 set_label begin IGPU end;
into_all all code_regex GFX0 replaceall_matched begin IGPU end;
into method label _DSM parent_label IGPU remove_entry;
into device label IGPU insert begin
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)\n
{\n
    If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero)) { Return (Buffer() { 0x03 } ) }\n
    Store (Package()\n
        {\n
            "model", Buffer() { "Intel HD Graphics 530" },\n
            "hda-gfx", Buffer() { "onboard-1" },\n
            "AAPL,ig-platform-id", Buffer() { 0x00, 0x00, 0x1b, 0x19 },\n
            "AAPL,Gfx324", Buffer() { 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01 },\n
            "AAPL,GfxYTile", Buffer() { 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01 },\n
            "AAPL00,PanelPowerUp", Buffer() { 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x30 },\n
            "AAPL00,PanelPowerOn", Buffer() { 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x19 },\n
            "AAPL00,PanelPowerOff", Buffer() { 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x11 },\n
            "AAPL00,PanelPowerDown", Buffer() { 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x3C },\n
            "AAPL00,PanelCycleDelay", Buffer() { 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0xFA },\n
            "device-colors", Buffer() { 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x9D, 0x9D, 0xA0, 0x00, 0x00, 0x02, 0x00  },\n
        }, Local0)\n
    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))\n
    Return (Local0)\n
}\n
end;

What do I do with it?
I assume it goes in the config.plist file somewhere, but where? And do I just copy/paste it verbatim, or do I need to edit any part of it?

I'll be forever grateful if someone can clear some of this up for me, or point me in the direction of a thread that can. Thanks everyone.

Have you used MultiBeast yet? It's an incredibly helpful tool that will help install certain kexts for you.

Ahh awesome thanks for posting this, I'm still somewhat confused about what a DSDT is vs a SSDT vs config.plist. But hopefully your link will help clear that stuff up. So thank you.

Have you used MultiBeast yet? It's an incredibly helpful tool that will help install certain kexts for you.

I have used multibeast, but it didn't seem to have that many options for customizability, and I still need to do more optimizations.

The problem with that thread is that there is 25 pages of comments. I've read them all and I'm still not completely clear. I holding out for a fix in the next multibeast. A step by step guide for dummies would be helpful on this.

The problem with that thread is that there is 25 pages of comments. I've read them all and I'm still not completely clear. I holding out for a fix in the next multibeast. A step by step guide for dummies would be helpful on this.

I definitely agree. Although, I feel like a step by step on how to work with and edit the config.plist, DSDT and SSDT would be the most helpful, since then threads like that one would (I think) make more sense.

I always considered myself tech savvy, but I'm starting to think I was lying to myself all along lol

I definitely agree. Although, I feel like a step by step on how to work with and edit the config.plist, DSDT and SSDT would be the most helpful, since then threads like that one would (I think) make more sense.

I always considered myself tech savvy, but I'm starting to think I was lying to myself all along lol

I'm an apple certified engineer! lol

Here's the walkthrough I used on youtube (or at least one very similar by the same author) for the visual glitches seen in the tabs for safari (and probably other places I didn't notice as readily):

Now look at what he does and think about what all the scripts are that you've been told to type out. Look at how he uses Configurator to make those same script edits without actually touching the plist.

Here's the walkthrough I used on youtube (or at least one very similar by the same author) for the visual glitches seen in the tabs for safari (and probably other places I didn't notice as readily):

Now look at what he does and think about what all the scripts are that you've been told to type out. Look at how he uses Configurator to make those same script edits without actually touching the plist.

Cheers, was actually reading stuff tonight and was thinking of trying agin. This should help. Thanks!

Better to use a plist editor such as Xcode or PlistEdit Pro.
It is painful just watching that video, let alone attempting to accomplish this task with the method proposed there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back