Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Where do i find Asmedia.kext???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the explanation. I couldn't get to it today.

I actually "mapped" my ASMEDIA ports just see if I could. I made an SSDT with this.
Code:
    Scope (\_SB.PCI0.RP05)
    {
        Scope (PXSX)
        {
            Name (_STA, Zero)  // _STA: Status
        }
    }

Scope (\_SB.PCI0.RP05)
    {
        Scope (XHCI)
        {
            Name (_STA, Zero)  // _STA: Status
        }

Device (XHC2)
        {
            Name (_ADR, Zero)  // _ADR: Address
        }
    }
}

When you disable PXSX it auto-creates XHCI so I renamed it XHC2 to fall in line with my other controllers.

Then made a new USBPorts.kext with Hackintool which auto-detected XHC2. I renamed the ports HS/SSxx there.

Overkill? Yeah, but kinda cool!

Yes indeed, that is very cool. :thumbup:

My guess is that this should work as long as your main Intel stack is named XHC. My previous 500-series board was named XHCI by default. Sadly I can no-longer test with it.

Do any connector values or power settings you make to the ASM controller ports work?

Thunderbolt controllers are seen as second Intel XHCI stacks, like XHC2 too.

Quite why Hackintool sometimes sees PXSX nodes and other times not, is still a mystery.

:)

mate... That doesn't answer my question, it doesn't help my situation as well..

Well your thread question was "Where do I find Asmedia.kext???". @NorthAmTransAm pointed you to his copy. @Rrc has just uploaded the same one.

@Edhawk is helping with the front panel ports you mention in post #13.

For what it is worth, a third-party controller like ASMedia's is used for extra USB3 ports or to add USB3 functionality to an EHCI only setup. We are trying to explain how and why this might work in your Hackintosh.

Last edited:
Well your thread question was "Where do I find Asmedia.kext???". @NorthAmTransAm pointed you to his copy. @Rrc has just uploaded the same one.

@Edhawk is helping with the front panel ports you mention in post #13.

For what it is worth, a third-party controller like ASMedia's is used for extra USB3 ports or to add USB3 functionality to an EHCI only setup. We are trying to explain how and why this might work in your Hackintosh.

Mate @NorthAmTransAm isn't being specific. He's on about his own setup when i'm looking to fix mine? I got the front panels working now yea. Thanks for all the help but you lot need to be more specific, i'm not a pro advanced hackintosh user.

Mate @NorthAmTransAm isn't being specific. He's on about his own setup when i'm looking to fix mine? I got the front panels working now yea. Thanks for all the help but you lot need to be more specific, i'm not a pro advanced hackintosh user.

As I said above, you asked a specific question in the title of this thread and that has been answered.

If you want to go deeper, unless we have exactly the same setup as you, all we can do is tell you how to approach the problem. Try doing a site-search for "ASUS MAXIMUS VII Formula", I just did and there's plenty to read, if you are wiling to do so.

Re-reading that post #13 you said: "my front panel usb ports doesn't work with some of them on the back".

Maybe let us know which motherboard headers you are using, and why the reference to "them on the back"?

As I said above, you asked a specific question in the title of this thread and that has been answered.

If you want to go deeper, unless we have exactly the same setup as you, all we can do is tell you how to approach the problem. Try doing a site-search for "ASUS MAXIMUS VII Formula", I just did and there's plenty to read, if you are wiling to do so.

Re-reading that post #13 you said: "my front panel usb ports doesn't work with some of them on the back".

Maybe let us know which motherboard headers you are using, and why the reference to "them on the back"?
i think i figured it out myself, it's not rocket science. Just one question : what is the max usb ports allowed???

i think i figured it out myself, it's not rocket science. Just one question : what is the max usb ports allowed???
as mentioned in the guide 15....

My USB ports are mapped now thanks @Edhawk for the front panel info. That helped. Thank you @Rrc for the kext. I needed that kext to go with USBinjectall.kext + SSDT-EC-USBX.aml + SSDT-UIAC.aml. Now i'm good to go. Cheers.

@rayceyiii it was a reply to someone else, but it was still related to the topic of USB ports and Asmedia. I was simply expanding on the possibilities and the "why" of it all. If someone comes here one day looking for an answer they'll now get lots of info that might help them. This is actually how I came across the Asmedia.kext myself. I thought I was having a thunderbolt issue at the time but it wasn't that at all.

@UtterDisbelief Yeah! My main Intel stack is XHC, Asmedia is XHC2, and Thunderbolt is XHC3. It's cosmetic but I like that stuff. If using UIAC maybe you could add a rename to the top to get XHC? I use a kext myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back