fs0:
cd \efi\clover\tools
bdmesg.efi

How to access the Clover log when you can't boot up:

select EFI shell from the Clover menu
fs0:
cd \efi\clover\tools
bdmesg.efi
Can someone explain to me how I can open bdmesg.efi INSIDE macos ? I took 4 bdmesg.efi ' s from 4 different machines on a flash drive and CANNOT figure out how to open and read bdmesg.efi inside macOS ! Thanks !

Can someone explain to me how I can open bdmesg.efi INSIDE macos ? I took 4 bdmesg.efi ' s from 4 different machines on a flash drive and CANNOT figure out how to open and read bdmesg.efi inside macOS ! Thanks !

No need to open bdmesg.efi.
The file that you need is /EFI/CLOVER/misc/preboot.log

No need to open bdmesg.efi.
The file that you need is /EFI/CLOVER/misc/preboot.log
Really thanks for the quick answer ! I am trying to figure out WHY my system freezes and need to be hard-rebooted every 3-5 days. I have a nuc8i7BEH with 10.15.3 and while everything working 100% I get this random freeze every 3-5 days and trying to figure out what is causing it… Am I right to assume that I will find the Log inside preboot.log you mentioned ? Where generally clover stores logs before a kernel panic ? THANKS AGAIN !!!

@ALL,

For those users who are unfamiliar with the terminal commands to view log files you can use Hackintool which has a very handy log file viewer that can display all of the following :-
  • Clover boot log
  • Lilu debug log (requires logging to be enabled by boot argument)
  • System console log
Hackintool-Logs.png
The System console log viewer supports filtering by process type and specific search query.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@ALL,

For those users who are unfamiliar with the terminal commands to view log files you can use Hackintool which has a very handy log file viewer that can display all of the following :-
  • Clover boot log
  • Lilu debug log (requires logging to be enabled by boot argument)
  • System console log
View attachment 472383
The System console log viewer supports filtering by process type and specific search query.

Cheers
Jay
A Huge thanks For This ! So neat and easy ! Really appreciate it !

Am I right to assume that I will find the Log inside preboot.log you mentioned ? Where generally clover stores logs before a kernel panic ?
Clover logs relate to Clover which is of course the boot loader.
As kernel panics occur after the boot loader has completed its function you will not find any relevant information in the Clover log.

O
Clover logs relate to Clover which is of course the boot loader.
As kernel panics occur after the boot loader has completed its function you will not find any relevant information in the Clover log.
oh, NICE to know ! Newbiee here trying to troubleshoot ! So you propose I stick to console.log (Native macOS app) for kernel panics or random system freezes which require hard-reboot ? Thanks !

random system freezes which require hard-reboot ?
This type of problem usually happens without giving the OS the opportunity to record anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back