CPU
Intel i7-9700F
Graphics
AMD Radeon RX 570 8 GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everybody. Before doing irreversible damage, I cloned my BigSur HD with an old HD with rotating discs. I upgraded to Monterey on the cloned disk, and here some problems popped up that I didn't have before:

1) in system preferences, if I click on Siri or Accessibility or Bluetooth, I get an error message: "Unable to load the preferences panel"

2) the USB ports no longer work but the ones where the keyboard and mouse yes (obviously I did the USB Mapping and in BigSur they worked very well)

3) the other HDs are no longer visible: only the system disk is visible. Yet, both the NVMexpress disk where Windows is located and the disk where I record data appear in the system report!

4) The boot is extremely slow

I enclose my Config.plist

Thanks in advance!

now a new error message: "A hash matching error has been detected on volume disk3s2 (which is the system disk).
MacOS needs to be reinstalled on the volume"

Attachments

• config.plist
    47.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I think the issue that you’re experiencing is because you updated the clone.
I tried that a while back and ended up with a non bootable HD Clone because I didn’t know at that time that you have to create a legacy clone with CCC.

Also, when I moved from Big Sur to Monterey, I had to do a new USBmap.kext (although that may have been because I changed my SMBIOS for Monterey compatibility)

Last edited:
I think the issue that you’re experiencing is because you updated the clone.
I tried that a while back and ended up with a non bootable HD Clone because I didn’t know at that time that you have to create a legacy clone with CCC.

Also, when I moved from Big Sur to Monterey, I had to do a new USBmap.kext (although that may have been because I changed my SMBIOS for Monterey compatibility)
Yes, I did a legacy clone with CCC: It booted normally with BigSur. The issues appeared after the upgrade to Monterey
I didn't change anything from BigSur: I really don't know if I have to

Yes, I did a legacy clone with CCC: It booted normally with BigSur. The issues appeared after the upgrade to Monterey

I didn't change anything from BigSur: I really don't know if I have to
@Robbish: The SMBIOS change has why the USBmap change was required.

@crybbio:

The hash mismatch errors indicate either storage data corruption or bad RAM.

Things to look into:

• Old is the drive is unreliable

• Problem with SATA or USB drive cabling

• Budget 3rd party PCIe SATA controller; the kind that uses regular SATA cables.

• Bad RAM

• Over over-clocking

Since Monterey 12.2 the whole system is secured by hashing, where key parts of the system are signed. This is much more intensive computationally than previous macOS, so more likely to be affected by edge case errors.

SSD is now required for normal performance. APFS changed critical layout details on drive that are very unsuited to spinning drives and hurt basic file system performance.

These and many other reasons are why so many older Macs are no longer supported.

Get a cheap SATA SSD from Crucial

Run memtest86 and look for RAM problems.

Use built-in SATA and replace cable to drive.

As for not being able to see other drives, until hash errors are solved, there's no sense looking into it.

@Robbish: The SMBIOS change has why the USBmap change was required.

@crybbio:

The hash mismatch errors indicate either storage data corruption or bad RAM.

Things to look into:

• Old is the drive is unreliable

• Problem with SATA or USB drive cabling

• Budget 3rd party PCIe SATA controller; the kind that uses regular SATA cables.

• Bad RAM

• Over over-clocking

Since Monterey 12.2 the whole system is secured by hashing, where key parts of the system are signed. This is much more intensive computationally than previous macOS, so more likely to be affected by edge case errors.

SSD is now required for normal performance. APFS changed critical layout details on drive that are very unsuited to spinning drives and hurt basic file system performance.

These and many other reasons are why so many older Macs are no longer supported.

Get a cheap SATA SSD from Crucial

Run memtest86 and look for RAM problems.

Use built-in SATA and replace cable to drive.

As for not being able to see other drives, until hash errors are solved, there's no sense looking into it.

I did my homework... I bought a new SSD and I started again all from the beginning. I upgraded OC to 0.8.3 too (and I can see the version 8.3 in the right lower corner of the screen when booting but, despite this, the Hackintool application warns me that I have installed version 0.6.2 and that I can update it! ... Why? ...).

Now this is the situation:

- I don't have anymore Hash errors

- I did a new USB mapping, put It in OC/Kexts, I deleted UsbinjectALL.kext and replaced the old SSDT-USBX.aml with the new one, I see all USB port green in Hackintool, but if I connect a USB drive I can't see it

- I am able to see only the system drive in Finder

- I still have got issues in system preferences if I click on Siri and Bluetooth but no more in Accessibility

- I can't mount .dmg files

Here is my new config.plist

Attachments

• config.plist
    47.9 KB · Views: 32
the Hackintool application warns me that I have installed version 0.6.2 and that I can update it! ... Why?
A known problem with early versions, easily fixed by clearing NVRAM.
Or in a more targeted way :

Code:
sudo nvram -d 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:opencore-version

I did my homework... I bought a new SSD and I started again all from the beginning. I upgraded OC to 0.8.3 too (and I can see the version 8.3 in the right lower corner of the screen when booting but, despite this, the Hackintool application warns me that I have installed version 0.6.2 and that I can update it! ... Why? ...).

- I did a new USB mapping, put It in OC/Kexts, I deleted UsbinjectALL.kext and replaced the old SSDT-USBX.aml with the new one, I see all USB port green in Hackintool, but if I connect a USB drive I can't see it

- I still have got issues in system preferences if I click on Siri and Bluetooth but no more in Accessibility

I have seen a RAM edge-case in my build interfere interfere with opening dmgs.

I was trying to push timings a little beyond XMP. Basic memtest86 came up clean.
But when I restored RAM OC to default, it went away.

My simplistic observation is that opening a dmg with integirty checking (on by default) stresses entropy and makes for a good exercise of the datapath.

In my case, the problem immediately went away when I down-clocked RAM to default profile.

I have seen a RAM edge-case in my build interfere interfere with opening dmgs.

I was trying to push timings a little beyond XMP. Basic memtest86 came up clean.
But when I restored RAM OC to default, it went away.

My simplistic observation is that opening a dmg with integirty checking (on by default) stresses entropy and makes for a good exercise of the datapath.

In my case, the problem immediately went away when I down-clocked RAM to default profile.
But my Ram is not overclocked... It is on default profile...

That doesn't mean it's working properly :)

My point is that what you are seeing speaks of HW issues

Hi there.

I may be missing the bus on this one but I took a look at your config.plist and noticed a couple of things ...

1) For Monterey you must disable IntelBluetoothInjector.kext to allow the system to boot correctly.

2) You could add BlueToolFixup.kext, to enable Bluetooth again.

3) Check your USBPorts.kext uses the system-defintion iMac19,1 like the rest of your system. If not, it won't work.

4) You should not need XHCI-unsupported.kext although it won't harm your system.

As I said, I might be missing something because you have a booting system, but the above checks may help. :thumbup:

When you can see a USB port in IORegistryExplorer but it does not mount on the desktop, this is usually because the port is not activated as a match for the device inserted - USB2+USB3 , or USB3+USB2. USB2 in a USB2 port should work etc.

:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back