i7-8750H
Graphics
GTX 1060 Max-Q
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
i know that a kext is a kernal extension and all but i have never read a post on how to find them or remove/replace them, now im not looking for replies like "if you don't know don't bother"because thats a waste of time and stupid too. so if anyone is out there that can help please do and i thank you in advance!

Kexts are located in system/library/extensions.

can i just paste a kext file directly to system/library/extensions like wifidrivers.kext? will it work that way? thanks

can i just paste a kext file directly to system/library/extensions like wifidrivers.kext? will it work that way? thanks
No. Easiest way is to get either KextBeast ( http://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/kextbeast-2-0-1.310/ ) or Kext Wizard ( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/253395-kext-wizard-easy-to-use-kext-installer-and-more/ ) and use it to install your kext files. The advantage to KextBeast is the ability to choose to put your kext in Library/Extensions where you can easily get to it rather than in S/L/E, which is a hidden folder in El Capitan.

Gonna revive this thread to get a clear understanding. I've been adding my kext to my EFI under Other but I see otherwise to use S/L/E. Can anyone guide me on whats the correct way when and why?

All third party kexts go in /Library/Extensions as of Sierra. The only kext to put in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/others is FakeSMC to allow booting during software upgrades. FakeSMC can be in /Library/Extensions and /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/others with no issues as long as they are the same version.

All third party kexts go in /Library/Extensions as of Sierra. The only kext to put in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/others is FakeSMC to allow booting during software upgrades. FakeSMC can be in /Library/Extensions and /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/others with no issues as long as they are the same version.

Ha whoops! Do you mind if I take some screen shots to confirm what should and shouldn't be there? Is there any harm and putting an alias folder by the Other folder for SLE?

Please forgive my slowness here. I was able to get my running with very little tinkering so I never caught this misstep. Here's to hoping I get an even smoother system. I have two questions then.

I'm on Mojave, do Kext go in S/L/E or L/E?

Here's my other folder. Should most of these be moved to one of the above?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 8.59.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 8.59.40 AM.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 488
Apple does not allow any third party kexts in /S/L/E as of Sierra.

This where Im confused. Is it S/L/E or L/E and Im not sure which ones are 3rd party or not. Again forgive my ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back