Contribute
Register

When will we see more affordable thunderbolt motherboards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
G5 mod
CPU
i5-3570k
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys
I'm going to make a cheap build to hook up to my Cinema Display and therefore I'm in need of a cheaper Thunderbolt-motherboard.
Are there any cheap options today/is there going to be released any models in near future? :)

Thanks in advance :)
Mathias

Hi guys
I'm going to make a cheap build to hook up to my Cinema Display and therefore I'm in need of a cheaper Thunderbolt-motherboard.
Are there any cheap options today/is there going to be released any models in near future? :)

Thanks in advance :)
Mathias

You don't need thunderbolt for a cinema display. You just need displayport. If the gfx card or MB has a full size displayport instead of a miniDP you can get this adapter:
http://www.google.com/products/cata...ikiQK70IDoBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CHQQ8wIwAA#ps-sellers

You don't need thunderbolt for a cinema display. You just need displayport. If the gfx card or MB has a full size displayport instead of a miniDP you can get this adapter:
http://www.google.com/products/cata...ikiQK70IDoBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CHQQ8wIwAA#ps-sellers

Yeah I know, but thanks for helping man :) The thing is, I'm going to go with HD4000 and I can't seem to find any cheap H77/Z77 mobo with displayport. But the chances of seeing a cheaper thunderbolt-mobo should be quite high, non? :)

Yeah I know, but thanks for helping man :) The thing is, I'm going to go with HD4000 and I can't seem to find any cheap H77/Z77 mobo with displayport. But the chances of seeing a cheaper thunderbolt-mobo should be quite high, non? :)

of course not. much easier to find cheap displayport than cheap thunderbolt. And it will be that way until intel integrates the thunderbolt functionality onto the CPU itself.
g\

Care to mention a few then? ;) I can find a couple of possible candidates, but they all seem to be very incompatible with OS X.

Care to mention a few then? ;) I can find a couple of possible candidates, but they all seem to be very incompatible with OS X.

I don't know about specific products as far as cheaper ones compatible with OS X. DP is also more prevalent in higher end products. But the fact that the thunderbolt controller itself costs about $40 means it is only going to be on some specialty or high end boards for now. if you can go with Z68 then the Z68MX is a great and compatible board though might be hard to find now. maybe check ebay. Otherwise it will take some searching and research to find the cheapest display port enabled compatible 7 series board. You might in fact be better off just getting a very inexpensive graphics card with DP or MiniDP.
g\

I should've mentioned that I'm in Europe. That mobo is rather rare over here, and when someone sells it, it's at prices very close to thunderbolt-mobos (30USD difference). Thanks a ton for searching though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back