Contribute
Register

What's the status of the 6700K Prime95 bug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170 HD3P
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Pascal Titan X
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Browsing for Skylake 6700K information, I found out there was a freezing bug in this processor, found people doing tests with Prime95, and acknowledged by Intel. The Intel fix was released through BIOS updates.

Is it possible to know if any Motherboard model (or even currently shipping 6700Ks) ship with a BIOS version that includes the bugfix?

I know this bug supposedly happens only under extreme loads and rare conditions, but I usually do number crunching, and I don't like the idea of buying a new box that could freeze even if it's under "rare" conditions, so I'd like to get a 6700K and Motherboard with the fix already applied.

Last I heard Intel came up with a microcode firmware fix and it was rolled out to all the mobo manufacturers, who then implemented in their BIOS update program. Chances are that if you have an i7 then you have probably already updated your BIOS.

Last I heard Intel came up with a microcode firmware fix and it was rolled out to all the mobo manufacturers, who then implemented in their BIOS update program. Chances are that if you have an i7 then you have probably already updated your BIOS.
I don't have it yet, but I'm going to buy one. Is there any OOB-working motherboard released no more than 3 months ago? (if it was released after the bugfix, there's an almost complete certainty that you get a fixed BIOS)

I don't have it yet, but I'm going to buy one. Is there any OOB-working motherboard released no more than 3 months ago? (if it was released after the bugfix, there's an almost complete certainty that you get a fixed BIOS)
You should be able to flash the BIOS of any H/Z170 you buy now to the updated version. When it's that important of a fix every mobo maker will include it in their most current version of UEFI/BIOS. Whether or not you get one that is already updated out of the box you won't know until you power up your build and check it. It's also possible that the seller could check for you but not many resellers would do that.

The sticker on the box may have a DOM, Date Of Manufacture. Otherwise, chances are you can do an update through the Internet. Me, I don't trust it since the 'Net has been slow lately. For example, SoundForge was down today doing a full recovery. I'd rather download the BIOS update and use a new USB stick to update it. ymmv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back