Contribute
Register

What's the oldest computer you use on a regular basis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the oldest mac i use is a PowerMac G4 I use it to store files on it over the lan i have setup. i enjoy using this computer when i need to have documents and files saved that will be safe on this G4.

At work we have an IBM XT that runs a plate reader. Its a simple tool to interface with the lab equipment, but it has a custom card that won't go into anything else. When it dies, we have to get a new reader. And figure out what to do with all the 5" floppies.

My father in law has a Bondi Blue iMac. It has some silly games that will only work with the ancient version of OS that it runs and he won't risk upgrading because he's afraid he won't have the exact same games available in OSX. Different, new, or better versions of the games are not allowed. They're card games. He sits on it and plays different versions of solitaire.

A NeXTStation Turbo Color from about 1992.
http://www.dendra.net/otherPics/w3.png
I have a Cube with a nextdimension too but it occupies a lot of desk space, so it's stored.
Beautiful keyboards but the old balled mouses are a bit clunky.

A PowerPC 8600 is in the office too to run an old SCUSI scanner when it's needed.

Dell Inspiron E1705 laptops with Core Duo Mobile (Celeron) running XP SP3. Bought two of them in 2004 or 2005 and both are still running fine (if that level of performance has ever been "fine") but one has been upgraded to Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, and an SSD, which were huge improvements.

I use a 12'' powerbook to control some external hardware and music software that hasn't yet been updated by the manufacturers. I have an m audio midi sport going into a TC Helicon Voiceworks plus, into the powerbook. I'm able to control the Voiceworks through the powerbook, which I wouldn't have to do if they would just update their software. I use it almost every day, for hours at a time.

Axim x51v
Use it nearly every day
Its just so handy and the soft ware is just right :clap:

I have on hand and use on and off a G4 Digital Audio Powermac that's been upgraded with a Sonnet G4 1.4GHz Processor and boot from a 500GB SATA I/II Hard Drive that's attached to a bootable LaCie 2-port SATA PCI card. I also have another internal 80GB IDE drive that still boots OS 9.2.2.

My other legacy Apple computer(s) that I also use rather frequently for specific tasks - include a G4 Mac Mini 1.25Ghz - which is I believe the very first Mac Mini produced. I use it exclusively as my home networks music server.

And last, but certainly not least, I'm a very proud owner of a mint condition, fully tricked out 20" G4 iMac that is running on a 64GB Kingston SSD (easily accomplished by utilizing a IDE-to-SATA adapter), has a 8x DVD-/+RW DL Optical drive, and bluetooth capabilities provided by a Belkin usb adapter paired with both a Apple wireless keyboard and Magic mouse. Also included in this set-up are a pair of excellent Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers. Everything is working beautifully, with many people who see it in full operation being especially impressed that it's 20" LCD is still amazingly crisp and vibrant - floating effortlessly in space and time.

I just gave this away to a friend who was without a computer:
e1405_front_149x149.jpg

dell inspiron e1405, been running ubuntu 12.04 for a couple years now.

I need a hard drive for this one and i can use it again.
107270-toshiba-qosmio-f25-av205.jpg

toshiba qosmio f25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back