Contribute
Register

Whats the most powerful graphics card money can buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD5
CPU
Intel Core i7 8700K
Graphics
Radeon RX Vega Frontier Edition
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey Guys, Looking to build another system and need a graphics card capable of supporting 2x 30" Cinema Displays. It needs to be really powerful (for 1080p video editing). Got any recommendations... pretend money is no object =)

Thanks guys!

6870 <------thats a link

the 6870 is the most powerful gfx card (to my knowledge) that will work OOB with OSX in a hackintosh....

Thanks, exactly what I needed to know! Just confirming dual displays will work?

What program will you be using to do your video editing? If it is Adobe Premier than you want a gtx580.

I was trying to decide between the 560 TI and the 6870 and had come down on the side of the 560 TI because of the quieter fans under load in the 500 series. Is the 6870 better performing in general, or just liked because it's cheaper and a tad easier to get working?

That's a separate question to this one, which is that I would mainly be doing video work with the computer, capturing from video tape, cleaning up the picture and colour and archiving on DVD. I bought Final Cut Express but might have to buy a raft of other software, too. The 580 would be a stretch and I haven't looked into whether the 570 is any easier to get working, these days. Would an over clocked 560TI not be a good compromise? Thanks for anyone's thoughts, especially those working with video. :)

cliffg said:
What program will you be using to do your video editing? If it is Adobe Premier than you want a gtx580.
I will second that for nvidia cards. ATI really blows in premiere, AE, and Davinci Resolve.

Kevin

560TI, 570, 580.. all would be the same to get working.
6870 is liked cause it works with little to no effort.

NVidia works better with Adobe Premiere but I am unsure of Final Cut.
Anyone have an answer on this?

jsfullr said:
Thanks, exactly what I needed to know! Just confirming dual displays will work?

Correct. Dual (And I think even triple, but don't mark my words) will work with the 6870 if you have a compatible mobo... In your build dual will work for sure, and triple is a maybe!

Not sure what other programs you are using, but echoing what others have already said, stick with Nvidia, there are huge performance advantages with Adobe programs. Honestly though, if you are just using FCP, and only editing, and your files are a reasonable type to edit with, the graphics card isn't the thing to spend money on. I would spend it on fast, redundant storage. You really won't see any advantages of a good gfx card unless you are doing native editing with highly compressed formats such as AVCHD, HDV, etc. If you plan on doing ANY uncompressed work, fast storage is a necessity. I am partial to Nvidia cards as well for their integration into Adobe, Assimilate, Resolve, etc. It's all about the Cuda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back