Contribute
Register

What's the mini-DisplayPort "in" for on the z170x Designare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Gigabyte's z170x Designare board features a mini-DiplayPort "in" socket, about which there seem to be sketchy details at best. Gigabyte describes it as "for future expansion", and review sites say it's "uncertain" what it's for.

Could it, tantalisingly, be for accepting the output from a PCIe GPU? In other words, a short cable would route the output from the GPU card straight back into the motherboard, the purpose being to re-route it through one of the USB-C/ThunderBolt 3 outputs, thus enabling connection of a TB3 monitor such as an LG Ultrafine.

What a gift that would be to the Hackintosh community. Or am I allowing my imagination to run away with me? ;-)

Peter.
mDP IN.png

How embarrassing. I missed that in the manual. Thanks Fl0r!an!

It can enable the new 5K Ultra Fine monitor too as reported by dudenesspa here Post#31

Thanks Wildwillow -- but given that mini-DisplayPort 1.2's maximum supported resolution (according to Wikipedia) is 4096x2160, I suppose that means we're restricted to that...

Thanks Wildwillow -- but given that mini-DisplayPort 1.2's maximum supported resolution (according to Wikipedia) is 4096x2160, I suppose that means we're restricted to that...
True.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back