Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus X99 Deluxe
CPU
E5 1660 v3
Graphics
Asus 5700XT reference model
Hello, I'm trying to build a new hackintosh machine and need some advice on CPU.

I was told back some time that for hackintosh, it's better to have hyperthread and iGPU. The priority should go like with 1. iGPU &HT, 2. iGPU, 3. HT, 4. NO neither iGPU nor HT.

Put performance gain aside, if I have a 5700xt GPU, what's the real advantage to have these two things? That would impact my choice for 9400f and 8700k

Thank you.

Hello, I'm trying to build a new hackintosh machine and need some advice on CPU.

I was told back some time that for hackintosh, it's better to have hyperthread and iGPU. The priority should go like with 1. iGPU &HT, 2. iGPU, 3. HT, 4. NO neither iGPU nor HT.

Put performance gain aside, if I have a 5700xt GPU, what's the real advantage to have these two things? That would impact my choice for 9400f and 8700k

Thank you.

That depends on what applications you need to run.

With the proliferation of 6 core and 8 core CPUs, it may not be that important to have HT anymore, unless you have some CPU intensive applications and you need every bit of performance from the CPU.

As for iGPU, some applications (and the OS itself) may make use of it for acceleration, but it again depends on what applications you need, and it may not be necessary.

So, do your applications require or can benefit substantially from them?

In the enterprise software industry (at least my old company), Testing showed a hyperthreaded CPU to have a performance increase of only 25% to 30%. In otherwords, A 8th Gen 6Core with HT is roughly equal to an 8 core CPU in terms of performance ASSUMING your software can take full advantage of multithreading (like most Java programs).

Thank you.

I would like to use the the machine to code & design.

E.g. MS office, Azure, xcode, nodejs, etc...I think none of them are CPU intensive application thus at least the HT is not must to have.

What about iGPU? I understood the application I listed above isn't related to GPU either. However I do would watch some video, e.g. Netflix or other doenloaded films. Does that require iGPU

In the enterprise software industry (at least my old company), Testing showed a hyperthreaded CPU to have a performance increase of only 25% to 30%. In otherwords, A 8th Gen 6Core with HT is roughly equal to an 8 core CPU in terms of performance ASSUMING your software can take full advantage of multithreading (like most Java programs).

Thank you. I think my apps would not be too CPU intensive. Although I plan to run do some doing but I have no plan to build a public server based on that. So I think at least the HT is not must for me.
Do you know about what exact the iGPU contribution here considering I have a 5700xt already.

Thank you. I think my apps would not be too CPU intensive. Although I plan to run do some doing but I have no plan to build a public server based on that. So I think at least the HT is not must for me.
Do you know about what exact the iGPU contribution here considering I have a 5700xt already.

Minimal. Picture/Video encoding sometimes still goes through the IGPU unless you use an iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS System Definition. Search the forums for "Preview iMacPro1,1" maybe "QuickLook iMacPro1,1". If you get a Z370 motherboard, use an 8th Gen processor (easiest to configure). If you get a Z390 motherboard, use a 9th Gen CPU.

I would recommend the Intel Core i7-9700K -- One additional advantage to an IGPU: You can still use your Hackintosh if your GPU fails. That is worth the $10 difference between the K and KF models.

If you want something cheap but VERY fast for the cash -- Intel Core i3-8350K Coffee Lake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz with 4.8GHz overclock. These do not have turbo. If you clock them to 4.8Ghz, All 4 cores will be 4.8GHz as long as there is enough work to keep the CPU busy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back